From: Mrpush on
Hi,

I'm performing Full weekly backups, and daily Differential backups.

If I need to restore a single file that has been changed, since the last
Differential backup, do I only need the Differential backup?

I keep reading that you need the last FULL & Differential backups to restore
files, however, I believe this may only apply when I need a COMPLETE restore
or all files.

I just want to pull a file off a Diff backup that has changed from a day or
so ago, so I only need that Diff backup to restore this file, correct?

Thanks,

MP

From: Dusko Savatovic on
Correct.

From: Mrpush on
Thanks very much.

From: Hank Arnold on
Yes. If you know when the file was changed, you can restore the file
from the previous differential backup (or the full backup if it hasn't
changed since then). If not, you need to search the backups for that
file name and decide which copy you want to restore...

Differential backups only back up files that have changed SINCE THE LAST
FULL BACKUP.

Regards,
Hank Arnold
Microsoft MVP