From: Joe53 on
Hey,

I've seen the Backup utilitly for Server 2008 is quite different, is there
anyway to check to make sure your backups are successful and is there anyway
to be
able to just backup up certain files that you want and not the whole drive.
Thanks in advance,
Craig

From: Meinolf Weber [MVP-DS] on
Hello Joe53(a)newsgroup.nospam,

The way as Windows server 2008 has changed there isn't an option to backup
only files/folders. If the backup is run without errors you will see in the
event viewer.

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
no rights.

From: Joe53 on
Thanks for the response, can you restore only folders and files? Or do you
do a complete restore? I might need a third party backup program?

From: Meinolf Weber [MVP-DS] on
Hello Joe53(a)newsgroup.nospam,

As the backup is stored in a .vhd file this can be opened with Virtual server
for example, that way you can restore files/folder content.
http://www.petri.co.il/mounting-vhd-files-with-vhdmount.htm

Windows server backup is limited, so you can think about 3rd party tools,
also Windows server 2008 R2 is able to backup/restore folders.

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
no rights.

From: Leythos on
In article <u#y05go9KHA.4316(a)TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl>, Joe53
@newsgroup.nospam says...
> Thanks for the response, can you restore only folders and files? Or do you
> do a complete restore? I might need a third party backup program?

I have done many 2008 native restores, both files, folders, and entire
servers.

The new 2008 server backup makes restoring the server simple, easy,
painless. We had a MS update trash sharepoint, spent an hour with MS and
they could not fix it, we do 4 2008 backups per day to a 2TB USB drive
set (we rotate them). So, we inserted the 2008 DVD, booted to it,
selected to restore, picked the date/time from the USB backup that we
wanted, and let it run - 30 minutes later we had our server back online
EXACTLY as it was a the time of the selected backup.

For this one function alone I've moved all our servers and customers
servers to 2008.

Trust yourself.