From: jt_eaton on

I received my new Nexys2 board today and fired it up. I already had a Basys
and Nexys board so I wanted to see what this one had to offer.

It is nice. Its larger so that the leds actually line up with the switches
and you have room to actually plug in a canned oscillator. You may not need
it because they upgraded the original resonator to a real oscillator. My
basys board had unstable video with the resonator and needed a can. The
Nexsys2 is ok.

They doubled the number of external connections off the board and added a
ps2,
uart and vga interface. I took a basys design that I had and edited the
padring,ucf and a couple of config files and it compiled and ran ok.

It's nice having all those gates.

John

---------------------------------------
Posted through http://www.FPGARelated.com
From: Patrick Maupin on
On Mar 17, 11:53 pm, "jt_eaton"
<z3qmtr45(a)n_o_s_p_a_m.n_o_s_p_a_m.gmail.com> wrote:
> I received my new Nexys2 board today and fired it up. I already had a Basys
> and Nexys  board so I wanted to see what this one had to offer.
>
> It is nice. Its larger so that the leds actually line up with the switches
> and you have room to actually plug in a canned oscillator. You may not need
> it because they upgraded the original resonator to a real oscillator. My
> basys board had unstable video with the resonator and needed a can. The
> Nexsys2 is ok.
>
> They doubled the number of external connections off the board and added a
> ps2,
> uart and vga interface. I took a basys design that I had and edited the
> padring,ucf and a couple of config files and it compiled and ran ok.
>
> It's nice having all those gates.
>
> John
>
> ---------------------------------------
> Posted throughhttp://www.FPGARelated.com

The only thing I don't like about Digilent is the lack of Linux
support for their USB. (There is a project on the web somewhere for
JTAG support, but no project for doing data transfers.)

I have an email from an engineer named "Josh" at Digilent: "We are
planning on providing Linux support by the 4th quarter of 2008; so
nothing will be available in the short-term.
"
They're in Microsoft's backyard, and I think UW (where the owners
work, I think) receive a lot of Microsoft funding, but I'm sure it's
just that nobody but me is interested in Linux...

From: glen herrmannsfeldt on
Patrick Maupin <pmaupin(a)gmail.com> wrote:
(snip)

> They're in Microsoft's backyard, and I think UW (where the owners
> work, I think) receive a lot of Microsoft funding, but I'm sure it's
> just that nobody but me is interested in Linux...

Pullman is completely the other side of the state from Redmond.
There might be a UW branch there, but it is a long way from Seattle.

When I ordered my Digilent board last year, there was a storm that
closed some of the freeways and, according to UPS tracking, it
was diverted through Portland.

-- glen
From: Patrick Maupin on
On Mar 21, 5:14 pm, glen herrmannsfeldt <g...(a)ugcs.caltech.edu> wrote:
> Patrick Maupin <pmau...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> (snip)
>
> > They're in Microsoft's backyard, and I think UW (where the owners
> > work, I think) receive a lot of Microsoft funding, but I'm sure it's
> > just that nobody but me is interested in Linux...
>
> Pullman is completely the other side of the state from Redmond.
> There might be a UW branch there, but it is a long way from Seattle.
>
> When I ordered my Digilent board last year, there was a storm that
> closed some of the freeways and, according to UPS tracking, it
> was diverted through Portland.
>
> -- glen

A look at their "about" page says "Washington State University" which
is based in Pullman, so that was my bad memory all the way around.

So, maybe it's just be perceived market size and/or lack of qualified
Linux driver people. But if they'd just document their interface, we
could do it with libusb. I'm too old to have the patience to reverse
engineer this kind of stuff any more. In the same email thread two
years ago, I asked about documention, but they ignored that, and
figured (correctly) that I would forget about it if I were promised a
Linux driver a few months later. But it's been two years since I
asked, and a year and a half since they said it was going to be
available.

We've probably bought 30 or 40 of their Nexys/Nexys2 boards at work,
but they would be a lot more useful, and I'd buy a lot more, if I
could just use them from Linux.

Regards,
Pat
From: whygee on
Patrick Maupin wrote:
> They're in Microsoft's backyard, and I think UW (where the owners
> work, I think) receive a lot of Microsoft funding, but I'm sure it's
> just that nobody but me is interested in Linux...
no, don't worry.
yg
--
http://ygdes.com / http://yasep.org