From: grunzasr on

>Anyone had any experiences with the GN4124? Or alternatively, with the
>PEX8311 by PLX, which is the only other chip I've managed to find that
>performs a similair task? The ultimate project goal is going to be a
>PCIe card with an FPGA talking to a mini-ITX running Linux, and I'm
>likely going to be the one doing the coding on all ends. Total project
>run's only likely about 200, 250 pieces, so it's easier to spend BOM
>money than it is to buy expensive IP or spend weeks and weeks of extra
>coding.
>
>--
>Rob Gaddi, Highland Technology
>Email address is currently out of order

I'm currently looking for a way around the PLX PEX8311 device's limitations
so I wouldn't recommend using it. The PEX8311 is really a two die chip
with a PEX81111 and a PCI9056. The PEX8111 does not support MSI interrupts
(which I've been requested to add to our product) and none of PLX's PCI
devices support MSI. Before you use the PEX8311 download the errata sheets
on the 8311, the 8111, and the 9056; they all apply to the 8311.

I've used the PCI9080, PCI9656, PCI9054, and PEX8311 on various boards. So
long as an errata doesn't get in your way they're not bad chips.

I'm looking at either trying to create my own PCI to local bus interface
with an FPGA or using something like the GN4124 or the AAE-B04 (looks like
it's made by Daitron).

---------------------------------------
Posted through http://www.FPGARelated.com
From: Gilles on
We have just completed a design using the GN4124. It's a HDMI capture card
for 1080p video. It's working very well, but we had to do some driver fixes
to increase stability. The FPGA IP is working great. We easily added a
scaler and a few other tricks. We are currently looking into converting the
driver to Linux.

Gilles Chouinard
Dextera Labs
gilles(a)dexteralabs.com