From: Tim Prince on
Jeff Ryman wrote:
> Does anyone know if any version of Digital/Compaq Visual Fortran less
> than v6.6 will run on Windows XP or Windows 2000?
>
> I have taken on a project (for no charge) to add some functionality to
> an existing program that is supposed to compile with DVF/CVF. I have
> v5.0D and v6.1A. My principal Windows PC at home has Windows XP and
> one old PC has Windows 2000. My Windows 98 PC, on which I had these
> versions installed, is now completely dead.
>
> I know that v6.6 is the only version officially supported on Windows
> XP, but perhaps someone has gotten an earlier version to work.

CVF, Windows 98 and 2000, and versions of Windows XP which were
available when CVF was supported, are officially no longer supported.
I assume you knew that, but your statement implies otherwise.

From: Kelvin Hales on
We are still running Digital Visual Fortran 5 under WinXP. (Upgrades from 5.0A
to v5.0D can be downloaded from the web, or I could E-mail the files.)

One does need to update some files with later versions. A download for these
is available in the Redistributables Self-installing Kit, available here:
<http://h21007.www2.hp.com/dspp/tech/tech_TechDocumentDetailPage_IDX/1,1701,716
1,00.html>

From: Kevin G. Rhoads on
I have DVF 5.0D and CVF 6.1A installed on WinXP-Pro SP2 systems at work
and at home.

I mostly use the command line compilers, not the IDE, and have had no
significant problems compiling and linking.

The only "funnies" were in upgrading DVF 6.0 to CVF 6.1, if anything
interrupts the upgrade, I found I had to uninstall and reinstall
from scratch. The upgrade patchers were not always robust enough
to deal with some files already upgraded.
From: max on

"Kevin G. Rhoads" <kgrhoads(a)alum.mit.edu> wrote in message
> I have DVF 5.0D and CVF 6.1A installed on WinXP-Pro SP2 systems at work
> and at home.
>
> I mostly use the command line compilers, not the IDE, and have had no
> significant problems compiling and linking.
>
> The only "funnies" were in upgrading DVF 6.0 to CVF 6.1, if anything
> interrupts the upgrade, I found I had to uninstall and reinstall
> from scratch. The upgrade patchers were not always robust enough
> to deal with some files already upgraded.

Yes. No problems.

Windows 2000 Professional SP2, XP Home, XP Home SP2, XP Professional SP2 -
all were fine. As Kevin said, the only problem is if you install software
that provides a later version of a DVF component, when the install reports
that there are later files (natch) and therefore upgrades nothing. I learnt
that I install DVF before anything else.

From: Jan Vorbrüggen on
> I understand. I have just renewed my support for Intel Visual Fortran
> for Windows. I have the installation files for versions as late as
> 9.1.033 or 9.1.034, but was asked to use CVF.

Is there a valid technical reason for that (e.g., existing module files that
cannot be re-created with a different compiler)?

In any case, 6.6C3 would be a much more stable compiler than 6.1.

Jan