From: Pat Conover on
Hi All,

I have an old Dimension 8100 that I used as a file server. The HD was new,
with a fresh install of XP Home SP3, connected to an UPS with Powechute
shutdown for outages, and was working fine for about six months. It just up
and died one day. I have opened it up, no lights, no monitor, no BIOS, not
even flea power on the MB, no nothing. I am thinking the power supply has
gone bad. But this is one of the non ATX compliant MB and PS (Model Dell
PS-5251-1D P/N 03E466) that Dell made with a 24 and 16 Pin MB power
connector. I don't have a PS tester, so I have been lurking around eBay
looking for a cheap used replacement. Found one used tested and working for
$21 including shipping.

Anyway, do you think its the power supply? Any eBay sellers you might
suggest (Ben)? I just can't see spending to much more money on this old
machine, but if I can get it running again for $25 that's worth it.

Thanks, Pat

From: Ben Myers on
On 4/29/2010 8:43 PM, Pat Conover wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have an old Dimension 8100 that I used as a file server. The HD was new,
> with a fresh install of XP Home SP3, connected to an UPS with Powechute
> shutdown for outages, and was working fine for about six months. It just up
> and died one day. I have opened it up, no lights, no monitor, no BIOS, not
> even flea power on the MB, no nothing. I am thinking the power supply has
> gone bad. But this is one of the non ATX compliant MB and PS (Model Dell
> PS-5251-1D P/N 03E466) that Dell made with a 24 and 16 Pin MB power
> connector. I don't have a PS tester, so I have been lurking around eBay
> looking for a cheap used replacement. Found one used tested and working for
> $21 including shipping.
>
> Anyway, do you think its the power supply? Any eBay sellers you might
> suggest (Ben)? I just can't see spending to much more money on this old
> machine, but if I can get it running again for $25 that's worth it.
>
> Thanks, Pat

Pat,

No guarantees, but the symptoms seem to indicate a failed power supply.
Could also be both the motherboard and power supply failed. You might
spend the $25 and find you need something else. I scrapped two or three
of these a few months back, but I do not think I saved any of the
parts... Ben
From: Pat Conover on
"Ben Myers" <ben_myers(a)charter.net> wrote in message
> On 4/29/2010 8:43 PM, Pat Conover wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I have an old Dimension 8100 that I used as a file server. The HD was
>> new,
>> with a fresh install of XP Home SP3, connected to an UPS with Powechute
>> shutdown for outages, and was working fine for about six months. It just
>> up
>> and died one day. I have opened it up, no lights, no monitor, no BIOS,
>> not
>> even flea power on the MB, no nothing. I am thinking the power supply
>> has
>> gone bad. But this is one of the non ATX compliant MB and PS (Model Dell
>> PS-5251-1D P/N 03E466) that Dell made with a 24 and 16 Pin MB power
>> connector. I don't have a PS tester, so I have been lurking around eBay
>> looking for a cheap used replacement. Found one used tested and working
>> for
>> $21 including shipping.
>>
>> Anyway, do you think its the power supply? Any eBay sellers you might
>> suggest (Ben)? I just can't see spending to much more money on this old
>> machine, but if I can get it running again for $25 that's worth it.
>>
>> Thanks, Pat
>>

> Pat,
>
> No guarantees, but the symptoms seem to indicate a failed power supply.
> Could also be both the motherboard and power supply failed. You might
> spend the $25 and find you need something else. I scrapped two or three
> of these a few months back, but I do not think I saved any of the parts...
> Ben

Ben,

I was hoping you would reply with have two, tested and ready to ship...but I
am a couple of months too late. At least getting a PS from you, I know it
would work, and then if no boot, MB time.

Thanks, Pat

From: Ben Myers on
On 4/30/2010 10:17 PM, Pat Conover wrote:
> "Ben Myers"<ben_myers(a)charter.net> wrote in message
>> On 4/29/2010 8:43 PM, Pat Conover wrote:
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> I have an old Dimension 8100 that I used as a file server. The HD was
>>> new,
>>> with a fresh install of XP Home SP3, connected to an UPS with Powechute
>>> shutdown for outages, and was working fine for about six months. It just
>>> up
>>> and died one day. I have opened it up, no lights, no monitor, no BIOS,
>>> not
>>> even flea power on the MB, no nothing. I am thinking the power supply
>>> has
>>> gone bad. But this is one of the non ATX compliant MB and PS (Model Dell
>>> PS-5251-1D P/N 03E466) that Dell made with a 24 and 16 Pin MB power
>>> connector. I don't have a PS tester, so I have been lurking around eBay
>>> looking for a cheap used replacement. Found one used tested and working
>>> for
>>> $21 including shipping.
>>>
>>> Anyway, do you think its the power supply? Any eBay sellers you might
>>> suggest (Ben)? I just can't see spending to much more money on this old
>>> machine, but if I can get it running again for $25 that's worth it.
>>>
>>> Thanks, Pat
>>>

>> Pat,
>>
>> No guarantees, but the symptoms seem to indicate a failed power supply.
>> Could also be both the motherboard and power supply failed. You might
>> spend the $25 and find you need something else. I scrapped two or three
>> of these a few months back, but I do not think I saved any of the parts...
>> Ben
>
> Ben,
>
> I was hoping you would reply with have two, tested and ready to ship...but I
> am a couple of months too late. At least getting a PS from you, I know it
> would work, and then if no boot, MB time.
>
> Thanks, Pat

Pat, With limited space, the 8100 and similar Precision 330 gear did not
survive the need to make room for newer equipment and a horde of P4
laptops... Ben
From: Pat Conover on
> On 4/30/2010 10:17 PM, Pat Conover wrote:
>> "Ben Myers"<ben_myers(a)charter.net> wrote in message

>>> Pat,
>>>
>>> No guarantees, but the symptoms seem to indicate a failed power supply.
>>> Could also be both the motherboard and power supply failed. You might
>>> spend the $25 and find you need something else. I scrapped two or three
>>> of these a few months back, but I do not think I saved any of the
>>> parts...
>>> Ben
>>
>> Ben,
>>
>> I was hoping you would reply with have two, tested and ready to
>> ship...but I
>> am a couple of months too late. At least getting a PS from you, I know
>> it
>> would work, and then if no boot, MB time.
>>
>> Thanks, Pat
>
> Pat, With limited space, the 8100 and similar Precision 330 gear did not
> survive the need to make room for newer equipment and a horde of P4
> laptops... Ben

Ben, Are there any cheap, but workable, PS and/or MB testers? I really
should have something like these in my toolkit. Yes, I could use a good
Spring cleaning too, maybe the 8100 qaulifys now... Pat

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: Windows 7 and Laptop questions
Next: RAM Inefficiency