From: N_Cook on
on one schematic
If a straight bar of cathode and triangle represent a signal diode
Same with a small return towards the triangle from the bar represents a
zener diode
What does the symbol mean with 2 barbs to the bar , one towards the anode
and the other in the other direction.
In the context of the circuit it could mean high speed or shottke , either
or both? just in passing, if anyone happens to know.

From: JW on

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diode
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zener_diode
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schottky_diode
From: William Sommerwerck on
> What does the symbol mean with 2 barbs to the bar...?

It's supposed to look something like the letter Z -- hence, a Zener diode.

From: N_Cook on
William Sommerwerck <grizzledgeezer(a)comcast.net> wrote in message
> > What does the symbol mean with 2 barbs to the bar...?
>
> It's supposed to look something like the letter Z -- hence, a Zener diode.

That is logical and my experience too but not in this case , hence the
query.
One barb represents zeners in the symbol set used on this schematic, so what
does the 2 barb (normally zener) symbol mean here?

From: ian field on

> William Sommerwerck <grizzledgeezer(a)comcast.net> wrote in message
>> > What does the symbol mean with 2 barbs to the bar...?
>>
>> It's supposed to look something like the letter Z -- hence, a Zener
>> diode.
>>

> That is logical and my experience too but not in this case , hence the
> query.
> One barb represents zeners in the symbol set used on this schematic, so
> what
> does the 2 barb (normally zener) symbol mean here?

The various typefaces used by the many people who produce schematics add to
the confusion and some use (often inaccurate) variations of the standard
symbols making matters even worse.

There are of course yet more different types of diode, some of which also
have their own symbol (and variants).

As to answer your original question, it would be hard to improve on the
links JW posted.