From: Targ on
In alt.comp.software.financial.quicken, Han wrote:

>Targ <no(a)mail.invalid> wrote in news:t620p5hdbdeehdioqltg39h500qasea1pi@
>4ax.com:
>
>> Is there a way in Quicken that you can tell that you are doing
>> direct connect rather than going thru Yodlee?
>
>I googled yodlee, because I have no idea what you're talking about. I do
>either direct connect or webconnect, I don't yodle, since I'm Dutch, not
>Swiss :-)

Yodlee is the company that has the aggregation servers and system
that is used by Mint, which Intuit just bought. With that system,
you provide your bank/broker login details to Mint, Mint sends the
info to Yodlee, and they access the web pages of the various
financial institution on your behalf. The data is provided back to
Mint and then to you. You trust they are not going to use your login
data for other purposes. Users trust they are not going to be hacked
or infiltrated because they have security procedures.

So if you Google (Yodlee and Mint), and (Mint and Intuit), I think
you will find info.

I don't know if Mint will continue to use Yodlee, or if it would
move to the internal Intuit system.
From: Han on
"R. C. White" <rc(a)grandecom.net> wrote in news:-_ydnTlJ-qbw-
w3WnZ2dnUVZ_qSdnZ2d(a)posted.grandecom:

> Hi, Han.
>
> The Swiss don't yodle, either. They yodel. ;^}
>
> RC

Pun fell flat, eh?

Hi RC! Reading your excellent comments with continued interest! Please
keep it up.

--
Best regards
Han
From: Han on

> In alt.comp.software.financial.quicken, Han wrote:
>
>>Targ <no(a)mail.invalid> wrote in
>>news:t620p5hdbdeehdioqltg39h500qasea1pi@ 4ax.com:
>>
>>> Is there a way in Quicken that you can tell that you are doing
>>> direct connect rather than going thru Yodlee?
>>
>>I googled yodlee, because I have no idea what you're talking about. I
>>do either direct connect or webconnect, I don't yodle, since I'm
>>Dutch, not Swiss :-)
>
> Yodlee is the company that has the aggregation servers and system
> that is used by Mint, which Intuit just bought. With that system,
> you provide your bank/broker login details to Mint, Mint sends the
> info to Yodlee, and they access the web pages of the various
> financial institution on your behalf. The data is provided back to
> Mint and then to you. You trust they are not going to use your login
> data for other purposes. Users trust they are not going to be hacked
> or infiltrated because they have security procedures.
>
> So if you Google (Yodlee and Mint), and (Mint and Intuit), I think
> you will find info.
>
> I don't know if Mint will continue to use Yodlee, or if it would
> move to the internal Intuit system.

Thanks for the explanation of how Mint/Intuit works. However, I thought
you were asking about how Quicken/Intuit works, and I do not think that
Yodlee is involved, at least in the recent past. What will happen in the
future is still under the veil of the gods ...

--
Best regards
Han
From: Han on

> In alt.comp.software.financial.quicken, John Pollard wrote:
>

>>> Is there a way in Quicken that you can tell that you are doing
>>> direct connect rather than going thru Yodlee?
>>
>>Quicken doesn't use Yodlee (but Intuit has it's own Yodlee equivalent,
>>called "Express Web Connect").
>
> Thanks for the info. Can you say where that is located?
>

>>You can get the answer to your question by going to the Overview tab
>>of your account and clicking Change Online Services. There you will
>>see what method Quicken is currently setup to download to that
>>account.
>
> Thanks again. I got there, but it may not be quite the way you
> pictured. I did not see "Change Online Services". With Account
> Overview highlighted for an account I click Options, and select View
> Account List, which gives data on all accounts. That has a column
> headed by Transaction Download. The one account that I did set up
> says "Yes (Web Connect Express)" as I suspected. I don't intend to
> share my credentials, so I have changed my credentials on that
> account. I want to limit my login credentials to just my computer
> and the particular institution.
>
> Can I somehow tell before providing my broker/bank credentials
> whether it is Direct Connect or is going to Quicken's aggregation
> servers?

The way I always understood it may be different from reality, now or in
the future, but here is my understanding (please correct wheere wrong!!):

Using 256 bit security, the password protected "password vault" system
under the Quicken program stores your FI logon/PWD information on your
computer. Then when you initiate an update, you provide the password
vault's password, and then the system uses the stored logon/PWD
information for the services/FIs you selected to retrieve the information
you desire directly from the FIs, using Intuit/Quicken protocols. I
believe the authentication may flow through Intuit servers, and the
financial information may have to follow Intuit protocols, for
compatibilities' sake.

I believe this is the way it works for both webconnect and direct
connect. The differences have been fuzzed recently, since a "one step
update" now may use either protocol set.

--
Best regards
Han
From: John Pollard on
Targ wrote:
> In alt.comp.software.financial.quicken, John Pollard wrote:
>

>>> Is there a way in Quicken that you can tell that you are doing
>>> direct connect rather than going thru Yodlee?
>>
>> Quicken doesn't use Yodlee (but Intuit has it's own Yodlee
>> equivalent, called "Express Web Connect").
>
> Thanks for the info. Can you say where that is located?

I don't believe there is anyplace you can access the capability
independent of Quicken's Express Web Connect.

>> You can get the answer to your question by going to the Overview tab
>> of your account and clicking Change Online Services. There you will
>> see what method Quicken is currently setup to download to that
>> account.

> Thanks again. I got there, but it may not be quite the way you
> pictured. I did not see "Change Online Services". With Account
> Overview highlighted for an account

"Account Overview" isn't the same as "Overview" (why Intuit chose "Account
Overview" for a name, I have no idea - you're not the first to confuse the
two). Chances are the Overview tab is located alongside (or one tab away
from) the "Transactions" tab.

>I click Options, and select View
> Account List, which gives data on all accounts. That has a column
> headed by Transaction Download. The one account that I did set up
> says "Yes (Web Connect Express)" as I suspected. I don't intend to
> share my credentials, so I have changed my credentials on that
> account. I want to limit my login credentials to just my computer
> and the particular institution.
>
> Can I somehow tell before providing my broker/bank credentials
> whether it is Direct Connect or is going to Quicken's aggregation
> servers?

Maybe, maybe not. If the financial institution is only listed as
providing Web Connect downloads (and assuming that is correct), your
*best* possible connection will be Express Web Connect (the fi has to
offer that as well, and I don't know how to tell ahead of time whether
they do). But if they do not offer Direct Connect, EWC is the best
connection possible with that if ... but even if they offer EWC, you do
not have to use it (in almost all cases ... Paypal may be an exception).

--

John Pollard
Your source of user-to-user Quicken help

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Prev: Share Drafts in downloads
Next: Q10 listing bug