From: Pulsdisruptor on
Hello all.
I am asking myself why nobody is able to create a DirectX plugin or a better
graphics card driver for Virtual PC...like at least a ATI9700 or NVIDIA
FX5900.
Is it a problem of licensing or don't the developers just see the need of a
better 3D acceleration.

DirectX 9 is a standard and really should be a part of a Virtual PC

Perhaps use the DirectX / Graphics card driver of an Xbox / Xbox360 because
it is owned by Microsoft = less licensing probs.

From: Bo Berglund on
On Mon, 12 Nov 2007 07:40:00 -0800, Pulsdisruptor
<Pulsdisruptor(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hello all.
>I am asking myself why nobody is able to create a DirectX plugin or a better
>graphics card driver for Virtual PC...like at least a ATI9700 or NVIDIA
>FX5900.
>Is it a problem of licensing or don't the developers just see the need of a
>better 3D acceleration.
>
>DirectX 9 is a standard and really should be a part of a Virtual PC
>
>Perhaps use the DirectX / Graphics card driver of an Xbox / Xbox360 because
>it is owned by Microsoft = less licensing probs.

In actual fact it is not a driver or similar that is needed. It is an
emulator for the grapics card that makes the guest believe it has such
a card available that it can install the proper driver for in the
operating system you are installing (Linux, OS/2, DOS, Win98, Win2000,
WinXP, Vista etc). The guest must behave towards the installed
operating system *exactly* like the real hardware. This is not a
simple task with the more advanced graphics cards....

And I don't think that MS is doing *any* developent towards VPC2007
anymore after the effort they put in last year to update VPC2004 such
that it could handle Vista as guest and host (that was probably the
reason it was refurbished at all).
Now it is released and it will probaly stay the same for a loooong
time.....