From: Andrew on
Hi guys

Is there a reason NOT to disable hibernation on a windows 2008 server? i
mean, this feature is enabled by default and the hibernate.sys file needs a
lot of space on my SAN (diskless Servers, Booting from SAN).

Im poorly remembering a MS teacher who told my not to disable the
hibernation on servers, but i can't remember the reason :-)

Thanks for your opinions
From: Dusko Savatovic on
Hibernation is not enabled by default on servers.

I don't know a good reason why it should be enabled. After all servers are
supposed to provide service 24 X 7.

Perhaps somebody wanted to relocate a server. Perhaps from one rack to
another and then instead of shutting it down, that person decided to
hibernate.

Perhaps it's related to SAN?

Anyway, if you did not enable hibernation, try to find out who did.

If you would still like to turn hibernation off, the command is the same as
Vista/Seven/R2, powercfg.

Open command prompt as administrator
powercfg -h off

-HIBERNATE, -H
Enables-Disables the hibernate feature. Hibernate timeout is
not
supported on all systems.

Usage: POWERCFG -H <ON|OFF>
POWERCFG -H -Size <PercentSize>
-Size Specifies the desired hiberfile size in percentage of
the
total memory. The default size cannot be smaller than
50.
This switch will also enable the hiberfile
automatically.

"Andrew" <Andrew(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi guys
>
> Is there a reason NOT to disable hibernation on a windows 2008 server? i
> mean, this feature is enabled by default and the hibernate.sys file needs
> lot of space on my SAN (diskless Servers, Booting from SAN).
>
> Im poorly remembering a MS teacher who told my not to disable the
> hibernation on servers, but i can't remember the reason :-)
>
> Thanks for your opinions

Pages: 1
Prev: TEST POST!
Next: scheduler exit code 0x80