From: TPGBrennan on
I have a Windows 2003 R2 SP2 x64 Enterprise Edition server that has
successfully run six scheduled tasks for more than a year. All of the tasks
fail as of this morning with an exit code of 0x80. The tasks run under
different service accounts and run different tasks including batch files,
powershell scripts and a third party app. All of them have the same problem.
The only information in the scheduler log is the exit code of 0x80, there is
nothing in any of the event logs. The problem developed between a successful
task last night at 2100 and the first morning task failing at 0730. No
changes have been made to the server during that time.

Does anyone have any clue what an exit code of 0x80 means?
From: Dave Patrick on
This article may help.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/843280

--

Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

From: TPGBrennan on
I'm still not sure what an exit code of 0x80 means but I figured out what my
specific problem was. The third party app running as a scheduled task had
spawned 68 child processes in the last month and never closed them down. I
killed all the child processes and the parent and scheduler works fine again.
Apparently, scheduler couldn't start anything after a certain point; the
last of the 68 children was spawned in the time window the scheduler stopped
working. this would explain some of the posts I have found that said a
reboot resolved the issue for a while and then it would come back. We
usually reboot the server each month for MS patching but could not last month
because of a configuration lockdown. i will monitoring the errant task going
forward.

My server and tasks didn't meet any of the conditions mentioned the KB
article referenced.

From: Dave Patrick on
Might need a delayed cleanup / kill task if the problem can't be fixed.