From: Diane Poremsky on

dannyboy wrote:
> I've just upgraded to Outlook 2010 and have the same issue. For info, I
> *never* had this issue in Outlook 2007, 2003, 2002, 2000, 97 or 95.
>

> I totally disagree. The overwhelming majority of junk mails in our spam
> filter (and there are a LOT of them) have subjects, even if they are
> nonsensical. Simply blocking a mail because it has no subject line is a
> pretty crude way of trying to stop spam.
>
> Also, I can't speak for the OP, but in my case I frequently send quick
> internal emails with no subject, for example to forward a URL or file to
> a colleague or friend who is expecting the email and thus doesn't need
> the email to have an "introduction". To make it impossible to disable
> the subject warning in Outlook 2010 seems pretty stupid IMO.

Correct, its a new feature in Outlook 2010 - it was a frequently
requested feature in previous version but was never added to them.
While no subject might increase the spam confidence level a little, its
not why it was added - many users asked for it. Some people might
filter on no subject, figuring its spam, but its no guarantee either
way.

It's good netiquette to include a subject, even if its just FYI... i
either use that or paste the URL in the subject and the body. I'm
actually annoyed when people (like my daughter) don't use subjects. She
could at least put 'hey mom' in the subject... then conversation view
would group all her messages together, not mixed with all the other no
subject messages.

Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
'Outlook Tips' (http://www.outlook-tips.net/) | 'Outlook & Exchange
Solutions Center' (http://www.slipstick.com/)

'Outlook Tips by email'
(mailto:dailytips-subscribe-request(a)lists.outlooktips.net)
'EMO - a weekly newsletter about Outlook and Exchange'
(mailto:EMO-NEWSLETTER-SUBSCRIBE-REQUEST(a)PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM)

View this thread: http://www.outlookforums.com/showthread.php?t=46033

http://www.outlookforums.com