From: Steve Wiseman Steve on
Hi

I have Virtual PC 2007 running on a 64 bit Vista box in a school. I would
like to be able to disable/grey out the 'Remove' button on the console, in
order to prevent unauthorised persons from removing the VM (this has happened
recently). Does anyone know if this button can be disabled with a Registry
hack?

Thanks very much

Steve Wiseman
From: Mark Rae [MVP] on
"Steve Wiseman" <Steve Wiseman(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> I have Virtual PC 2007 running on a 64 bit Vista box in a school. I would
> like to be able to disable/grey out the 'Remove' button on the console, in
> order to prevent unauthorised persons from removing the VM (this has
> happened
> recently). Does anyone know if this button can be disabled with a
> Registry hack?

I doubt very much that there's anything built in, whether documented or
not - no doubt Bob or Steve can confirm or deny this...

That said, it probably wouldn't be beyond the powers of a skilled Windows
programmer to achieve this via WinAPI...

--
Mark Rae
ASP.NET MVP

From: Robert Comer on
I don't know of anything specific that just disables that button, but
there's a way you can do what you want, namely make it hard to remove a VM.

Here's a post by Ben Armstrong in his Blog that deal with basically the same
type of situation only locking it down even more. I'm sure you can mod it
to fit your needs.

http://blogs.msdn.com/virtual_pc_guy/archive/2007/03/06/setting-up-a-virtual-pc-dos-application.aspx

--
Bob Comer

From: Uwe Kotyczka on
On 17 Mrz., 23:12, Steve Wiseman <Steve
Wise...(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> I have Virtual PC 2007 running on a 64 bit Vista box in a school. I would
> like to be able to disable/grey out the 'Remove' button on the console, in
> order to prevent unauthorised persons from removing the VM (this has happened
> recently). Does anyone know if  this button can be disabled with a Registry
> hack?

IMO you cannot do so by any means of VPC or Windows.
However you could write your own little program which
periodically does this:
- find out if VPC is running
- get the HANDLE of the 'Remove' button
- call 'EnableWindow(FALSE)' on that handle