From: Karl E. Peterson on
Surprised no one else posted this...

"Microsoft is making a slew of virtualization-related announcements on
March 18 — including one that will be welcome by customers who've been
stymied by the chip-level virtualization requirements for running
Windows 7 in XP Mode.

Effective immediately, Windows XP Mode no longer requires hardware
virtualization technology, Microsoft officials said today. XP Mode is a
feature of Windows 7 Professional or higher that allows companies to
run XP applications that are incompatible with Windows 7 in a virtual
environment."

Microsoft removes hardware virtualization barrier to running XP Mode |
All about Microsoft | ZDNet.com
http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=5607

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

From: VanguardLH on
Karl E. Peterson wrote:

> Surprised no one else posted this...
>
> "Microsoft is making a slew of virtualization-related announcements on
> March 18 �X including one that will be welcome by customers who��ve been
> stymied by the chip-level virtualization requirements for running
> Windows 7 in XP Mode.
>
> Effective immediately, Windows XP Mode no longer requires hardware
> virtualization technology, Microsoft officials said today. XP Mode is a
> feature of Windows 7 Professional or higher that allows companies to
> run XP applications that are incompatible with Windows 7 in a virtual
> environment."
>
> Microsoft removes hardware virtualization barrier to running XP Mode |
> All about Microsoft | ZDNet.com
> http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=5607

Maybe there hasn't been the huge adoption by consumers of Windows 7 that
Microsoft was hoping for. Interesting marketing ploy: Slide in XP Mode
trying to convince consumers they should buy Windows 7 to be backward
compatibile via XP Mode for the Windows XP that those consumers already
have.
From: Bill Grant on

"VanguardLH" <V(a)nguard.LH> wrote in message
> Karl E. Peterson wrote:
>
>> Surprised no one else posted this...
>>
>> "Microsoft is making a slew of virtualization-related announcements on
>> March 18 �X including one that will be welcome by customers who��ve been
>> stymied by the chip-level virtualization requirements for running
>> Windows 7 in XP Mode.
>>
>> Effective immediately, Windows XP Mode no longer requires hardware
>> virtualization technology, Microsoft officials said today. XP Mode is a
>> feature of Windows 7 Professional or higher that allows companies to
>> run XP applications that are incompatible with Windows 7 in a virtual
>> environment."
>>
>> Microsoft removes hardware virtualization barrier to running XP Mode |
>> All about Microsoft | ZDNet.com
>> http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=5607
>
> Maybe there hasn't been the huge adoption by consumers of Windows 7 that
> Microsoft was hoping for. Interesting marketing ploy: Slide in XP Mode
> trying to convince consumers they should buy Windows 7 to be backward
> compatibile via XP Mode for the Windows XP that those consumers already
> have.

I guess it is a logical step from a sales point of view. All of the
development of WVPC was focused on XP Mode to give backward compatibility in
Win 7 for businesses who still ran XP apps. These businesses are very likely
to want to run Windows 7 on underpowered machines without hardware
virtualization. I suspect it is pathetically slow. WVPC isn't exactly speedy
even with hardware virtualization and a reasonable processor.

Performance of WVPC is acceptable on my i5 750 with 4G but I would rate
it unacceptable on any of my older machines. Not even close to VirtualBox.

From: Karl E. Peterson on
VanguardLH wrote:
> Karl E. Peterson wrote:
>> Microsoft removes hardware virtualization barrier to running XP Mode |
>> All about Microsoft | ZDNet.com
>> http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=5607
>
> Maybe there hasn't been the huge adoption by consumers of Windows 7 that
> Microsoft was hoping for.

I can't imagine they really give a damn about consumers at all. If
they did, wouldn't XP Mode be available on Home editions?

No, they consider "consumers" to be a quaint and captive audience. One
who'll only be along for the ride if/when they buy a new machine. And
then only because they aren't aware other options exist.

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

From: Bill Grant on

"Karl E. Peterson" <karl(a)exmvps.org> wrote in message
> VanguardLH wrote:
>> Karl E. Peterson wrote:
>>> Microsoft removes hardware virtualization barrier to running XP Mode |
>>> All about Microsoft | ZDNet.com
>>> http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=5607
>>
>> Maybe there hasn't been the huge adoption by consumers of Windows 7 that
>> Microsoft was hoping for.
>
> I can't imagine they really give a damn about consumers at all. If they
> did, wouldn't XP Mode be available on Home editions?
>
> No, they consider "consumers" to be a quaint and captive audience. One
> who'll only be along for the ride if/when they buy a new machine. And
> then only because they aren't aware other options exist.
>
> --
> .NET: It's About Trust!
> http://vfred.mvps.org

What you call the consumer market which buys the Home editions was
expressly excluded from consideration when XP Mode was being developed. It
was considered (with some justification) that the sort of thing which these
customers would want to run in XP Mode are not the sort of thing which runs
well in a vm (no access to hardware audio or video), whereas business apps
run pretty well. There was a document published by Microsoft (which I can't
find at the moment) spelling this out.