From: Poutnik on
In article <OVFSVf8xKHA.4492(a)TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl>,
not.available(a)online says...

> What you call the consumer market which buys the Home editions was
> expressly excluded from consideration when XP Mode was being developed. It
> was considered (with some justification) that the sort of thing which these
> customers would want to run in XP Mode are not the sort of thing which runs
> well in a vm (no access to hardware audio or video), whereas business apps
> run pretty well. There was a document published by Microsoft (which I can't
> find at the moment) spelling this out.

I am afraid, it is not first and not last MS strange presumptions.

Many users buy non-Home versions of Windows,
and many Home Windows users run plenty of applications
that fits VM well. It is example of making decisions
instead of final user.

But anyway, I would say it is related more
to their software policy than to technical point of view.
Virtual PC 2004/2007 run perfectly well on Home Editions,
but everywhere are warnings
that Home editions are not supported.

Another example is removal of hibernation option
for PC with >4GB RAM, prior to windows 7.
It was said it was not efficient. But manual restoring
to previous state after normal booting is much slower.
It should be on users to decide, if want to use hibernation.
Later they fortunately realized this
and since Windows 7 they allowed hibernation above 4GB RAM.

--
Poutnik
The best depends on how the best is defined.
From: Karl E. Peterson on
Bill Grant wrote:
> "Karl E. Peterson" <karl(a)exmvps.org> wrote...
>> VanguardLH wrote:
>>>
>>> Maybe there hasn't been the huge adoption by consumers of Windows 7 that
>>> Microsoft was hoping for.
>>
>> I can't imagine they really give a damn about consumers at all. If they
>> did, wouldn't XP Mode be available on Home editions?
>>
>> No, they consider "consumers" to be a quaint and captive audience. One
>> who'll only be along for the ride if/when they buy a new machine. And then
>> only because they aren't aware other options exist.
>
> What you call the consumer market which buys the Home editions was
> expressly excluded from consideration when XP Mode was being developed. It
> was considered (with some justification) that the sort of thing which these
> customers would want to run in XP Mode are not the sort of thing which runs
> well in a vm (no access to hardware audio or video), whereas business apps
> run pretty well. There was a document published by Microsoft (which I can't
> find at the moment) spelling this out.

Well, there's a whole boatload of folks over in the FrontPage group
who'd beg to differ. They bought shiney new Windows 7 machines, only
to find they couldn't work on their websites anymore.

Microsoft was just being their typical assho1e self with that call,
sticking once again it to their non-enterprise customers.

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

From: senn on

"Bill Grant" <not.available(a)online> skrev i meddelelsen

> "Karl E. Peterson" <karl(a)exmvps.org> wrote in message
>> VanguardLH wrote:
>>>
>>> Maybe there hasn't been the huge adoption by consumers of Windows 7 that
>>> Microsoft was hoping for.
>>
>> I can't imagine they really give a damn about consumers at all. If they
>> did, wouldn't XP Mode be available on Home editions?
>>
>> No, they consider "consumers" to be a quaint and captive audience. One
>> who'll only be along for the ride if/when they buy a new machine. And
>> then only because they aren't aware other options exist.
>>
>> --
>> .NET: It's About Trust!
>> http://vfred.mvps.org
>>

> What you call the consumer market which buys the Home editions was
> expressly excluded from consideration when XP Mode was being developed. It
> was considered (with some justification) that the sort of thing which
> these customers would want to run in XP Mode are not the sort of thing
> which runs well in a vm (no access to hardware audio or video), whereas
> business apps run pretty well. There was a document published by Microsoft
> (which I can't find at the moment) spelling this out.
Few of the majority of uses who changes
OS from XP to Windows 7 by buying
a new PC knows about the serious limitation
of not being able of running XP-mode in
versions lower than professional. They
doesn't hang out in browsers studying
MS pages about windows 7. Sellers does not
tell a buyer. The seller is just like MS of
having the interest of selling him/her an
upgrade, when the customer meets up and
complaints about his problem.
Clearly, a lot of people become trapped.
Even the few ones who knows a little more
becomes trapped. As XP-mode till this date
is nothing else than trials. XP-mode is
too slowly to start up. And too many
other problems with it. The business-people
have no time for all that trouble shooting
you can read about on this newsgroup.
When one is running for the experience-index
on a version lower than ultimate, you get
a message like: You should consider upgrading
to ultimate.
Sometimes, in between, I get a message; your
windows 7 version is not genuine. Then I'll
have to download and run a program. After
running this program, my version of windows 7
is accepted as being a genuine version.
I state this, because, the stupidity comming
from MS these days apparently takes no end.
/senn