From: ricks99 on
Help. I'm unable to run the Disk Cleanup utility. I get the following error:

-----
Buffer overrun detected!
Program: C:\WINDOWS\system32\cleanmgr.exe
A buffer overrun has been detected which has corrupted the program's
internal state. The program cannot safely continue execution and must
now be terminated.
-----

My System Restore has also been disabled. It says that I need to run the
Disk Cleanup -- but I can't .

What's wrong and what do I need to do?

Tx

From: dB on
boot into safemode.

then right click on
the disk properties in
explorer and run all
the disk tools, e.g.
chkdsk, cleanup and
defrag.

From: Malke on
dB wrote:
> boot into safemode.
>
> then right click on
> the disk properties in
> explorer and run all
> the disk tools, e.g.
> chkdsk, cleanup and
> defrag.

Ah, I see "databaseBen" is back with his blank verse under another name.
How is the OP supposed to run "all the disk tools" such as Disk Cleanup
when Disk Cleanup not working is the reason he's posting?

> "ricks99" <ricks99(a)discussions.microsoft.com
> <mailto:ricks99(a)discussions.microsoft.com>> wrote in message
> Help. I'm unable to run the Disk Cleanup utility. I get the
> following error:
>
> -----
> Buffer overrun detected!
> Program: C:\WINDOWS\system32\cleanmgr.exe
> A buffer overrun has been detected which has corrupted the program's
> internal state. The program cannot safely continue execution and must
> now be terminated.
> -----
>
> My System Restore has also been disabled. It says that I need to run
> the
> Disk Cleanup -- but I can't .

What says you "need to run the Disk Cleanup"? We don't really have
enough information about your machine. Googling for "Disk Cleanup buffer
overrun" brings me quite a few links about malware removal which may or
may not be relevant.

So to start off, answer these two questions:

The First Question Of Troubleshooting: what changed between the time
things worked and the time they didn't?

The Second Question of Windows Troubleshooting: what is the
malware/virus status of the machine? If you think it is clean, what
programs (and versions) did you use to determine this?

Be sure the computer is clean:

Then post back and tell us the answers and include a bit more
information about your computer such as its approximate age, the size of
the hard drive, how much free space is left on the drive, that sort of
thing. The reason for asking for this information is so we can narrow
down the troubleshooting for you.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
From: Wesley Vogel on
> Ah, I see "databaseBen" is back with his blank verse under another name.

He must still be using databaseben(a)discussions.ms.com becuase my OE message
rule still works. I do not see his message.

Apply this rule after the message arrives
Where the From line contains 'pcbutts1(a)seedsv.com' or 'LEBANON(a)yahoo.com' or
'steamer(a)sonic.net' or 'ilkergirit(a)gmail.com' or
'cincy2hot4uhotmailcom(a)discussions.microsoft.com' or
'databaseben(a)discussions.ms.com'
Delete it
and Stop processing more rules

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:u2%23TxH%23PHHA.3268(a)TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl,
Malke <notreally(a)invalid.invalid> hunted and pecked:

From: dB on
I believe your humor is unwise
and unprofessional. That is why
I can contact the management of