From: Nil on
On 10 Dec 2009, Glennbo <vdrumsYourHeadFromYourAss(a)cox.net> wrote in
cakewalk.audio:

> Restore the image again, changing the size of the partitions
> during the restoration process. That should do it, because it'll
> know that it's going onto different media.

I tried to do that when I cloned the disk, but True Image wouldn't
allow me to clone to a different-sized partition. I did a little
checking, and apparently it's a know issue with TI if the source disk
has errors.

The more I look at this thing, the more fucked up the file system
looks. Unless somebody knows of a magic trick, I guess it's better to
reformat and reinstall.

Alas.
From: Nil on
On 10 Dec 2009, Glennbo <vdrumsYourHeadFromYourAss(a)cox.net> wrote in
cakewalk.audio:

> Yes it will. I've done it with every disk upgrade I've ever done
> with Acronis. Basically, I make the entire size of the new disk
> one partition when I use the clone function. If the OS is trashed
> though, it can't fix that in the transfer.

No, it wouldn't in this case. When I got to the point where you're
supposed to be able to re-size the partition with the mouse, or by
typing in the size, it wouldn't let me. I found a number of references
to this problem on the 'net. Yes, you're SUPPOSED to be able to do it,
but it seems to be either a bug in Acronis, or an undocumented
limitation they impose.

The OS seems to be healthy, it's just the dang file system that's
scrambled.
From: Nil on
On 10 Dec 2009, Glennbo <vdrumsYourHeadFromYourAss(a)cox.net> wrote in
cakewalk.audio:

> I don't have the current version of Acronis. Mine is from the
> latter part of 2006, but it definately lets you clone a 40 gig
> drive to an 80 gig drive, or an 80 gig drive to a 160 gig drive,
> coz that's the exact upgrade path I've done on my DAW, and both
> times I ended up with all my data and OS but with a ton more free
> space after the move.

My version is from '06, too, so it might be the same version. The
problem seems to happen when the source file system is corrupt. In that
case, you can't resize the destination partition. In fact, after I
initiated the cloning, Acronis complained about errors in the file
system, and my only choices were to acknowledge the error and proceed
or to cancel the operation entirely. So, the program knew at the start
that there were issues, and I maybe that restriction is its way of
coping with them. I assume that if the file system is clean, you can
resize the clone as you like.
From: John Braner on
Nil wrote:
> On 10 Dec 2009, Glennbo <vdrumsYourHeadFromYourAss(a)cox.net> wrote in
> cakewalk.audio:
>
>> I don't have the current version of Acronis. Mine is from the
>> latter part of 2006, but it definately lets you clone a 40 gig
>> drive to an 80 gig drive, or an 80 gig drive to a 160 gig drive,
>> coz that's the exact upgrade path I've done on my DAW, and both
>> times I ended up with all my data and OS but with a ton more free
>> space after the move.
>
> My version is from '06, too, so it might be the same version. The
> problem seems to happen when the source file system is corrupt. In that
> case, you can't resize the destination partition. In fact, after I
> initiated the cloning, Acronis complained about errors in the file
> system, and my only choices were to acknowledge the error and proceed
> or to cancel the operation entirely. So, the program knew at the start
> that there were issues, and I maybe that restriction is its way of
> coping with them. I assume that if the file system is clean, you can
> resize the clone as you like.

I think you've backed up fecked clusters and it doesn't know what to do with them. Like Glennbo -
I've never seen TI not let you change the partition size when you're restoring/cloning.

I think you just have a fecked backup image. There's no reason for TI to mark bad sectors - that's
low level formatting that does that and TI shouldn't know anything about it.

--
John Braner

jbraner(a)NOblueyonderSPAM.co.uk
http://www.soundclick.com/johnbraner
From: Tom B on
You better hurry up too. Otherwise the only magic trick you are going to see
is your data disappearing.

Sounds to me like that drive is drawing it's last breath. My experience has
been that they don't give a whole lot of tries to save the data.