From: David on

For context, my initial OP post, dated 30 May, is at the bottom of this
post in case it has been lost from your thread. You folks gave me a lot of
homework, and I have only now gotten far enough along with that to make a
meaningful response.

This post is directed primarily at Jose and Daave, who both encouraged me
to try and fix my existing system rather than to "Diskwipe and Reinstall".
I don't know whether I am up to this task, but here is an initial thrust:

First of all, let me say that I feel quite sure that there is no malware
problem with the system. I have had both McAfee and Webroot SpySweeper
running for several years now. I know that they are resource hogs, but
they have kept me out of trouble so far. I will probably take your advice
though and go with "lighter" products when their subscriptions expire. I
should note here, however, that the subject system slowdown has happened
(albeit gradually) long after these two products were initially installed.

Regarding the DMA/PIO issue, I have attempted to describe it in words but
finally gave up. There appear to be four combinations of answers, not
easily described, so I am just including images: (This is my first attempt
to try to use an image hosting service like this with USENET, so I hope it
works. If anyone has trouble viewing these, please tell me.)

http://img295.imageshack.us/img295/9924/primaryidechannel.jpg

http://img693.imageshack.us/img693/8333/secondaryidechannel.jpg

If I can presume that I have passed the malware and PIO tests, then here is
a text file of my msinfo32 file:

msinfo32 Summary 9 June 2010

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name [Snip]
System Manufacturer Dell Computer Corporation
System Model Dimension 4550
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 7 GenuineIntel ~2657 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Dell Computer Corporation A03, 11/12/2002
SMBIOS Version 2.3
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume2
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.5512
(xpsp.080413-2111)"
User Name [Snip]
Time Zone SE Asia Standard Time
Total Physical Memory 512.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 58.03 MB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 1.22 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

And here is a text file of my CCleaner startup file:

Yes HKCU:Run ctfmon.exe "C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe"
Yes HKLM:Run ATIPTA "C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI
Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe"
Yes HKLM:Run Adobe Photo Downloader "C:\Program Files\Photoshop
Elements\apdproxy.exe"
Yes HKLM:Run Microsoft Works Portfolio "C:\Program
Files\Microsoft Works\WksSb.exe" /AllUsers
Yes HKLM:Run nmctxth "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Pure
Networks Shared\Platform\nmctxth.exe"
Yes HKLM:Run nmapp "C:\Program Files\Pure Networks\Network
Magic\nmapp.exe" -autorun -nosplash
Yes HKLM:Run SunJavaUpdateSched "C:\Program
Files\Java\jre6\bin\jusched.exe"
Yes HKLM:Run mcui_exe "C:\Program
Files\McAfee.com\Agent\mcagent.exe" /runkey
Yes HKLM:Run WorksFUD "C:\Program Files\Microsoft
Works\wkfud.exe"
Yes HKLM:Run SpySweeper "C:\Program
Files\Webroot\WebrootSecurity\SpySweeperUI.exe" /startintray
Yes Startup Common Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk C:\Program
Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
Yes Startup Common Microsoft Office.lnk C:\Program Files\Microsoft
Office\Office10\OSA.EXE
Yes Startup Common Microsoft Works Calendar Reminders.lnk C:\Program
Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Works Shared\wkcalrem.exe

(If you are wondering what Pure Networks\Network Magic is, it's a
"pretty-GUI" network management program for people who aren't very smart
about networks. That's me.)

And here is an image of my Task Manager's process tab:

http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/9181/taskmanagere.jpg

Please note that at your suggestion I have already downloaded and ran
"Autoruns.exe", and have already disabled a number of items before the
above taskmanager snapshot was taken. These already appear to have
increased the processing speed noticeably.

Also please note that I am not so concerned about the time required for the
system startup. I am much more concerned about the processing speed once
startup has completed. Anything you can tell me to help to increase that
speed will be greatly appreciated.

Finally, I am attempting to provide you a lot of information above in ways
that I have never done before, so if some of it doesn't work, or doesn't
make sense, please tell me and I will try again. Suggestions welcome.

Thanks again, guys!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

From: Daave on
Assuming you are indeed malware-free and that your hard drive is still
in the correct mode (DMA), you either need to add more RAM or uninstall
McAfee and Webroot and go with better replacements. (A Clean Install
will *not* help you with your performance if you intend to reinstall
McAfee and Webroot!) I would use Avira AntiVir for your antivirus
program and MalwareByte's AntiMalware and SUPERAntiSpyware for your
non-viral anti-malware programs.

But, again, to determine if you are relying too heavily on your pagefile
(a definite cause of sluggishness!), open Task Manager (Ctrl+Alt+Del)
and click the Performance tab. Then note the three values under Commit
Charge (K): in the lower left-hand corner: Total, Limit, and Peak. (In
your screen shot, at the bottom, I was able to see Total and Limit. But
Peak is important, too!)

The Total figure represents the amount of memory you are using at that
very moment. The Peak figure represents the highest amount of memory you
used since last bootup. If both these figures are below the value of
Physical Memory (K) Total, then you probably have plenty of RAM.
In case you want to explore this further, you may run Page File Monitor
for Windows XP:

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_pagefilemon.htm

From: Mike S on
On 6/9/2010 7:50 AM, Daave wrote:
> [...]
>> doesn't make sense, please tell me and I will try again. Suggestions
>> welcome.
>>
>> Thanks again, guys!
>>
>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>>
>> On Sun, 30 May 2010 11:41:24 +0700, David<invalid(a)socrates.edu>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> This question has probably been asked before, but I can't figure out
>>> how to search for it. Apologies. If you can point me to a thread I
>>> will be happy to go there.
>>>
>>> I have an old Dell PC,( vintage 2003), with XP Home Edition. It
>>> has been updated regularly, so the XP version is current. But the
>>> machine is so burdened with junk software that it can barely crawl
>>> anymore. I need to wipe the disk and re-install XP.
>>>
>>> I have the original SP-1 reinstallation disk that was provided by
>>> Dell with the purchase.
>>>
>>> My question: What is the best way to bring the re-install up to the

You can breathe new life into your system, I would consider the following:
- get at least 2GB of RAM total
- remove the items below from the startup
- if you can *overclock it I would research that so you understand how
to protect your cpu from overheating while getting more performance out
of it.
*http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim4550/specs.htm#1101572
Intel� Pentium� 4 microprocessor that runs at 1.80, 1.90, 2.0, or 2.20
GHz internally and 400 MHz externally; or 2.26, 2.4, 2.53, 2.66, 2.8, or
3.06 GHz internally and 533 MHz externally
- tell us what kind of video card you have

You can use Mike Lin Startup cpl if you want a nice gui (it will place a
new icon "Startup" in the control panel and you can check or uncheck
startup entries quickly, easily, and reversibly).

ATIPTA "C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI
Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe"

Adobe Photo Downloader "C:\Program Files\Photoshop
Elements\apdproxy.exe"

Microsoft Works Portfolio "C:\Program
Files\Microsoft Works\WksSb.exe" /AllUsers

nmctxth "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Pure
Networks Shared\Platform\nmctxth.exe"

nmapp "C:\Program Files\Pure Networks\Network
Magic\nmapp.exe" -autorun -nosplash

SunJavaUpdateSched "C:\Program
Files\Java\jre6\bin\jusched.exe"

WorksFUD "C:\Program Files\Microsoft
Works\wkfud.exe"

Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk C:\Program
Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe

Microsoft Office.lnk C:\Program Files\Microsoft
Office\Office10\OSA.EXE

Microsoft Works Calendar Reminders.lnk C:\Program
Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Works Shared\wkcalrem.exe

Mike
From: Mike S on
On 5/29/2010 9:41 PM, David wrote:
> This question has probably been asked before, but I can't figure out how to
> search for it. Apologies. If you can point me to a thread I will be happy
> to go there.
>
> I have an old Dell PC,( vintage 2003), with XP Home Edition. It has been
> updated regularly, so the XP version is current. But the machine is so
> burdened with junk software that it can barely crawl anymore. I need to
> wipe the disk and re-install XP.
>
> I have the original SP-1 reinstallation disk that was provided by Dell with
> the purchase.
>
> My question: What is the best way to bring the re-install up to the current
> release version?
>
> Thank you very much, in advance.

RAM discussions you may find interesting:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/itproxpsp/thread/83584c69-a000-42cd-9f16-d40cd69d8011

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9011523/Buying_a_new_PC_Windows_Vista_Capable_barely_hits_the_mark

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080408225454AAwpTgy

Also visual effects can impact performance

http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-10878_11-5030748.html

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/personalize/performance.mspx
From: Jose on
On Jun 9, 9:30 am, David <inva...(a)socrates.edu> wrote:
> [...]
> make sense, please tell me and I will try again.  Suggestions welcome.
>
> Thanks again, guys!
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>

> On Sun, 30 May 2010 11:41:24 +0700, David <inva...(a)socrates.edu> wrote:
> >This question has probably been asked before, but I can't figure out how to
> >search for it.  Apologies.  If you can point me to a thread I will be happy
> >to go there.
>
> >I have an old Dell PC,( vintage 2003), with  XP Home Edition.  It has been
> >updated regularly, so the XP version is current.  But the machine is so
> >burdened with junk software that it can barely crawl anymore.  I need to
> >wipe the disk and re-install XP.
>
> >I have the original SP-1 reinstallation disk that was provided by Dell with
> >the purchase.
>
> >My question: What is the best way to bring the re-install up to the current

That is all very good information.

You can see from TM where your Virtual Memory is going (at least you
do not have the Spybot Teatimer!), but if you are not getting the
infomational message that XP s increasing the size of your paging file
(are you?) then XP would seem to be happy. If you have some $$$, get
a meg or two, but you have more than me so I am jealous.

You do have some things running you probably do not need. The good
part is, you can now use CCleaner to just disable the startup items,
reboot and see how things look. I have zero startup items, but
sometimes you need to have some depending on your situation and the
way you like to operate.

Disabling things does not uninstall things. If you reboot and
something is not right, reenable the item and reboot.

Before disabling things you may want to research them a bit and see
what they do and if they help or hurt your perfomance.

Right away I would disable:

ctfmon (read about it and see if you ever use it - probably not).

reader_sl.exe (Adobe Speed Launcher installs automatically when you
install their reader - boo!)

jusched.exe (the Java updater) I usually see disabling this shave
15-30+ seconds off a reboot time and you can still update Java when I
feel like it and I see no degradation in any WWW page performance (and
I measure carefully). It is a reboot/startup pig.

That McAfee stuff gives me the creeps. I don't like McAfee personally
and don't remember if it installs Services along with those startup
items, but you can see from Task Manager it is a virtual memory hog.
I am not going to install McAfee to find out either, but you can
disable them temporarily and see how things look after a reboot.

Ditto on SpySweeper - don't know how it will effect your day to day
stuff, disable it, reboot and see.

I have no kind of real time protection for the Internet by choice - it
slows me down and I don't go places I am likely to pick up anything -
unless I do it on purpose for testing. That bare naked environment
may not be right for you, but the more protection you have going on,
the slower things are going to be - but better performance comes with
some risk for some folks. More protection is not always good - you
can overdo things by applying too many layers (this happens a lot).

I don't recall if you can disable just parts of McAfee or not - you
probably do not want it scanning emails for example or all your
Internet traffic, etc. You will have to look at the options or
somebody else can tell you more about it. It may do "everything" on a
default install.. You can certainly disable it all right now, reboot
and browse the Internet intelligently and safely and test your usual
activities you like to do and maybe you will say - wow, this is great
but I feel too vulnerable and will pay the penalty in performance for
more protection.

With CClearner you can disable everything and turn them back on one at
a time, or turn them off one at a time (I would definitely turn off
the 3 I mentioned before).

Some things I do not recognize, but you probably do and you can
disable them, reboot and enable them again and take a look at things
now.

Now you know how to look at your Task Manager a bit and see what
effects the changes have (this is good to know).

You can post screen shots now too - this is a big help so we are not
guessing what is going on.

You have the tools now to start adjusting things. Make some changes,
see how it goes and come back with results, problems, questions...

When you get settled down with some adjustments, we can take a look at
your XP Services - waayyyyy too many probably.
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Prev: CMD command
Next: Automating XP and IE8 Installation