From: Daave on
Mike S wrote:
> My compliments on how thorough you are in your approach to learning
> about windows, if you don't watch it you'll be doing maintenance on
> parents, friends, neighbors, relatives, and classmates computers if
> you're not already.

I agree that David is being quite thorough, taking the time to
thoughtfully synthesize all the info offered.

From: Daave on
Suggestions are inline.

David wrote:

> And here is a text file of my CCleaner startup file:
>
> Yes HKCU:Run ctfmon.exe "C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe"

See these pages:

http://www.pchell.com/support/ctfmon.shtml

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/282599

> Yes HKLM:Run SunJavaUpdateSched "C:\Program
> Files\Java\jre6\bin\jusched.exe"

Start | Control Panel | Java

Click on Update tab. Uncheck the box next to "Check for updates
automatically."

Click on Advanced tab. Expand Java Console. Select "Do not start
console."

Expand JRE Auto-Download. Select "Never Auto-Download."

Expand Miscellaneous. Uncheck those two boxes below.

Reboot.

> Yes HKLM:Run Microsoft Works Portfolio "C:\Program
> Files\Microsoft Works\WksSb.exe" /AllUsers
> Yes HKLM:Run WorksFUD "C:\Program Files\Microsoft
> Works\wkfud.exe"
> Yes Startup Common Microsoft Office.lnk C:\Program Files\Microsoft
> Office\Office10\OSA.EXE
> Yes Startup Common Microsoft Works Calendar Reminders.lnk C:\Program
> Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Works Shared\wkcalrem.exe

Do you have Office *and* Works installed?

> Yes Startup Common Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk C:\Program
> Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe

As mentioned in another post, you should consider uninstalling Adobe
Reader and replacing with Foxit PDF Reader:

http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/reader/

(The Free Reader is on the left.)

But still, the biggest performance boost for you (short of adding RAM)
is to uninstall McAfee and WebRoot and replacing with Avira AntiVir,
MBAM, and SAS. You won't likely need to add RAM at that point. :-)

From: David on
Thank you for the kind remarks, guys. I'm flattered.

But realize that I would still be nowhere without all the guidance and
recommendations from you experts.

You have given me a lot more homework that I still need to attend to.
And I will. And I will probably have to ask still more questions.

In the meanwhile, thanks again and best regards,

David

On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 10:59:06 -0400, "Daave" <daave(a)example.com> wrote:

>Mike S wrote:
>> My compliments on how thorough you are in your approach to learning
>> about windows, if you don't watch it you'll be doing maintenance on
>> parents, friends, neighbors, relatives, and classmates computers if
>> you're not already.
>
>I agree that David is being quite thorough, taking the time to
>thoughtfully synthesize all the info offered.

First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Prev: CMD command
Next: Automating XP and IE8 Installation