From: David on
This question has probably been asked before, but I can't figure out how to
search for it. Apologies. If you can point me to a thread I will be happy
to go there.

I have an old Dell PC,( vintage 2003), with XP Home Edition. It has been
updated regularly, so the XP version is current. But the machine is so
burdened with junk software that it can barely crawl anymore. I need to
wipe the disk and re-install XP.

I have the original SP-1 reinstallation disk that was provided by Dell with
the purchase.

My question: What is the best way to bring the re-install up to the current
release version?

Thank you very much, in advance.
From: Ǝиçεl on
http://www.altavista.com/web/results?itag=ody&q=Prepare+Your+Hardware+for+a+Windows+Reinstall&kgs=1&kls=0

From: Bill in Co. on
Short answer (JMO) is that after you wipe the disk and install SP1, install
the SP3 update. That will bring you a good ways up to date, but if you want
more updates, you can go to the MS website for more.

From: HeyBub on
David wrote:
> This question has probably been asked before, but I can't figure out
> how to search for it. Apologies. If you can point me to a thread I
> will be happy to go there.
>
> I have an old Dell PC,( vintage 2003), with XP Home Edition. It has
> been updated regularly, so the XP version is current. But the
> machine is so burdened with junk software that it can barely crawl
> anymore. I need to wipe the disk and re-install XP.

No you don't.

From: Jose on
On May 30, 12:41 am, David <inva...(a)socrates.edu> wrote:
> This question has probably been asked before, but I can't figure out how to
> search for it.  Apologies.  If you can point me to a thread I will be happy
> to go there.
>
> I have an old Dell PC,( vintage 2003), with  XP Home Edition.  It has been
> updated regularly, so the XP version is current.  But the machine is so
> burdened with junk software that it can barely crawl anymore.  I need to
> wipe the disk and re-install XP.
>
> I have the original SP-1 reinstallation disk that was provided by Dell with
> the purchase.
>
> My question: What is the best way to bring the re-install up to the current
> release version?
>
> Thank you very much, in advance.

Why don't you just fix up what you have?

Guesstimate the time it takes you to create a new XP slipstreamed CD
(and hope it works) or use your SP1 CD (is it a Dell CD or a genuine
Microsoft CD?), backup all your personal data, reformat your drive,
reinstall XP and all your various chipset/motherboard drivers you
acquired since you first got your system, get back on the Internet to
update your Service Pack(s) and then download and install all the
Critical Updates from MS, locate, reinstall and configure all your
application software from scratch and then update all them and finally
restore any personal data you backed up before you started. Then
spend a day or two or three adjusting and tweaking to get things back
to normal.

Guesstimate about 1 hour to analyze and optimize current your system
performance and configuration (depending on what is going on).

Which is more appealing?

I have never reinstalled XP on this old machine in 6+ years and it
still runs great in spite of my continual abuse and burdening.
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Prev: CMD command
Next: Automating XP and IE8 Installation