From: Ben C on
On 2010-03-19, dorayme <dorayme(a)optusnet.com.au> wrote:
> In article <slrnhq7cio.512.spamspam(a)bowser.marioworld>,
> Ben C <spamspam(a)spam.eggs> wrote:
>
>> On 2010-03-19, dorayme <dorayme(a)optusnet.com.au> wrote:
>> > Not sure you caught my meaning? In
>> >
>> ><http://dorayme.netweaver.com.au/alt/inlineVfloatLists.html>
>> >
>> > I was talking the text wrapping with respect to the whole list
>> > not within the list item.
>>
>> OK, but it is also wrapping within the list item.
>>

> In the above URL, in the li as float, the whole li wraps. With
> inline, the text inside the li wraps causing the li itself to
> split.

Yes indeed, this is the behaviour I have been trying to describe.

> I am thinking this could be an attractive feature...

It could be.

[...]
>> It's quite good, but on another day another person might not like it
>> because it's not the effect they're trying to achieve.
>
> Quite so. I think there is no one answer to which to use, inline
> or float. I am just being more impressed with the simplicity of
> inline. It is a *natural* way to go with the flow. Honestly, I
> think Bill (William of Ockham) would be happier.

Relatively speaking. I don't think Bill would have been a fan of CSS
layout.
From: Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn on
Ben C wrote:

> Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:
>> shapper wrote:
>>> I am creating an horizontal menu using a unordered list:
>>>
>>> <ul class="Menu">
>>> <li>Item 1</li>
>>> <li>Item 2</li>
>>> </ul>
>>>
>>> What is the best way to make it horizontal?
>>> Use "display:inline" or "float:left"?
>>
>> li { display:block; float:left}, because it is the only way to be sure
>> about the distance between the items.
>
> I don't see why. You can just as well put left or right padding or
> margins on inline boxes to separate them. The gaps will be exactly the
> same as if you'd used floats.

No, a space of variable width (depending on the font) will be added between
the items as the whitespace between the elements will be considered when
the elements are inline-formatted.

> Why display: block? To get rid of the bullets?

For that, too.

> You can use the more perspicuous list-style-type: none instead.

Does not suffice.

>> A bonus is that the list wraps to the next line if an item does not
>> fit the containing block (e.g., with greater font size).
>
> Inlines do that too.

In this case they don't. BTDT.

Your From header is still broken.

PointedEars
From: Ben C on
On 2010-03-19, Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn <PointedEars(a)web.de> wrote:
> Ben C wrote:
>
>> Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:

>>> li { display:block; float:left}, because it is the only way to be sure
>>> about the distance between the items.
>>
>> I don't see why. You can just as well put left or right padding or
>> margins on inline boxes to separate them. The gaps will be exactly the
>> same as if you'd used floats.
>
> No, a space of variable width (depending on the font) will be added between
> the items as the whitespace between the elements will be considered when
> the elements are inline-formatted.

You are quite right, and this space of variable width that depends on
the font added between elements as whitespace is considered during
inline formatting is what is commonly known as a space.

If you don't want one, you don't type one, just as if you don't want a
'g' (of variable width depending on the font) you don't type a 'g'.

>> Why display: block? To get rid of the bullets?
>
> For that, too.

What else for?

>> You can use the more perspicuous list-style-type: none instead.
>
> Does not suffice.

Why not exactly?

>>> A bonus is that the list wraps to the next line if an item does not
>>> fit the containing block (e.g., with greater font size).
>>
>> Inlines do that too.
>
> In this case they don't. BTDT.

In which case? Maybe you had white-space: nowrap set or something?
From: dorayme on
In article <1637916.Mh6RI2rZIc(a)PointedEars.de>,
Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn <PointedEars(a)web.de> wrote:

> Your From header is still broken.
>

> PointedEars

So is your sig.

--
dorayme
From: Ben C on
On 2010-03-19, dorayme <dorayme(a)optusnet.com.au> wrote:
> In article <1637916.Mh6RI2rZIc(a)PointedEars.de>,
> Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn <PointedEars(a)web.de> wrote:
>
>> Your From header is still broken.
>>

>> PointedEars
>
> So is your sig.

What do you mean "_so_ is your sig"? My From header is not broken, and
anyway I can't possibly change it until I get a clue and learn some
manners.