From: J. Clarke on
On 6/8/2010 9:44 AM, Peter wrote:
> "Savageduck" <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in message
>> On 2010-06-08 05:11:55 -0700, "Peter" <peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net>
>> said:
>>
>>> "C. Werner" <none(a)noaddress.com> wrote in message

>>> Another new word hits the group. <G>
>>>
>>> About three years ago as part of a course in protocols, I was asked
>>> to comment on a presented suggestion that quantum computing would
>>> make the SIP protocol obsolete. My opening comment was,
>>> substantively, that the subject of quantum computing was so complex
>>> that the presenter selected it to avoid probing questions. BTW My
>>> conclusion was that SIP is actually fundamental to proper operation
>>> of a quantum environment. But that topic too is way beyond anything
>>> of interest to the vast majority here.
>>
>> Oh! How I miss Feynman.
>>

> Just imagine how long ago was it that he first predicted that digital
> computing would become obsolete?

I predict that barring the discovery of a method of inducing
immortality, nobody participating in this newsgroup will live long
enough to see it happen.

From: ray on
On Sat, 05 Jun 2010 13:36:47 -0700, RichA wrote:

> Put all the money and effort into good EVFs. No one needs an LCD
> anyway.

Bit of an overly sweeping generalization. No one 'needs' a digital camera
in the first place. Let folks fiddle with the back panel lcd if they like
it - as long as I'm not forced to. I have no 'use' for them.
From: Peter on
"Pete" <available.on.request(a)aserver.invalid> wrote in message
> On 2010-06-08 13:11:55 +0100, Peter said:
>
>> "C. Werner" <none(a)noaddress.com> wrote in message
>>
>>> It's all very quantumy and beyond the scope of these two
>>> paragraphs.
>>>

>> Another new word hits the group. <G>
>
> I've heard the word before so I totally missed its significance here.
>
> I'm still highly amused by imagining the Redtons and Blueyons not sticking
> to the Greenons hence colour fringing, furthermore, the possibility of
> explaining it to someone then hearing them say "That makes sense. I'd
> always wondered what caused it."
>
>> About three years ago as part of a course in protocols, I was asked to
>> comment on a presented suggestion that quantum computing would make the
>> SIP protocol obsolete. My opening comment was, substantively, that the
>> subject of quantum computing was so complex that the presenter selected
>> it to avoid probing questions. BTW My conclusion was that SIP is actually
>> fundamental to proper operation of a quantum environment. But that topic
>> too is way beyond anything of interest to the vast majority here.
>
> I'm interested in your conclusion. Not because I know much about it,
> rather, I would like to understand a little about it. I watch a
> documentary on quantum cryptography and have been interested to learn
> about quantum computing ever since.

I will try to over simplify for reasons of brevity, at the risk of the
trolls thinking food.
My reasons are more business than technical. With quantum we are
manipulating particles smaller than bits. At the current state of technology
much work needs to be done. The actual machines are presently nothing more
than sophisticated toys. There is nothing in the current SIP algorithms that
would prevent their application in quantum. While in the future more
efficient algorithms will be developed, it is a complete waste of time and
money to work on initiation protocols, when the current one will work. The
time and money is better spent on developing machines and networks. I also
think that the concentration on cryptology is a waste of effort that could
be more socially beneficial.

--
Peter

From: SMS on
On 08/06/10 8:06 AM, ray wrote:
> On Sat, 05 Jun 2010 13:36:47 -0700, RichA wrote:
>
>> Put all the money and effort into good EVFs. No one needs an LCD
>> anyway.
>
> Bit of an overly sweeping generalization. No one 'needs' a digital camera
> in the first place. Let folks fiddle with the back panel lcd if they like
> it - as long as I'm not forced to. I have no 'use' for them.

Originally the LCDs were to review photos so you could delete whatever
you didn't want to keep, and even the least expensive digital P&S
cameras had optical viewfinders (other than a few lower end models with
a swivel lenses). You tried to minimize the use of the LCD to increase
the number of photos. Then the camera makers realized that live view
could save them the expense of an optical viewfinder with all those
moving parts.

Now the camera display is often the only place the photos are ever
viewed, sometimes a digital picture frame, sometimes attached to
e-mails, but rarely printed. That's why the megapixel wars can be so
amusing, especially on P&S cameras where more megapixels on such a tiny
sensor mean far more noise and much poorer low-light/high ISO
performance. Panasonic's built a whole business around noise.
From: Pete on
On 2010-06-08 17:06:53 +0100, Peter said:

> "Pete" <available.on.request(a)aserver.invalid> wrote in message
>> On 2010-06-08 13:11:55 +0100, Peter said:
>>
>>> "C. Werner" <none(a)noaddress.com> wrote in message

>>> Another new word hits the group. <G>
>>
>> I've heard the word before so I totally missed its significance here.
>>
>> I'm still highly amused by imagining the Redtons and Blueyons not sticking
>> to the Greenons hence colour fringing, furthermore, the possibility of
>> explaining it to someone then hearing them say "That makes sense. I'd
>> always wondered what caused it."
>>
>>> About three years ago as part of a course in protocols, I was asked to
>>> comment on a presented suggestion that quantum computing would make the
>>> SIP protocol obsolete. My opening comment was, substantively, that the
>>> subject of quantum computing was so complex that the presenter selected
>>> it to avoid probing questions. BTW My conclusion was that SIP is actually
>>> fundamental to proper operation of a quantum environment. But that topic
>>> too is way beyond anything of interest to the vast majority here.
>>
>> I'm interested in your conclusion. Not because I know much about it,
>> rather, I would like to understand a little about it. I watch a
>> documentary on quantum cryptography and have been interested to learn
>> about quantum computing ever since.
>

> I will try to over simplify for reasons of brevity, at the risk of the
> trolls thinking food.
> My reasons are more business than technical. With quantum we are
> manipulating particles smaller than bits. At the current state of
> technology much work needs to be done. The actual machines are
> presently nothing more than sophisticated toys. There is nothing in the
> current SIP algorithms that would prevent their application in quantum.
> While in the future more efficient algorithms will be developed, it is
> a complete waste of time and money to work on initiation protocols,
> when the current one will work. The time and money is better spent on
> developing machines and networks. I also think that the concentration
> on cryptology is a waste of effort that could be more socially
> beneficial.

Thanks for that. I hadn't even considered the business/technical side
at all, let alone your other views.

My opinions on the subjects of quantum computing and cryptography were
strong, but realizing they were without proper foundation gives me the
chance to learn and change.

I'm still holding onto the idea of "Why change a current protocol if it
is sufficient." I've seen the result of making changes for change's
sake so many times, not only in photographic equipment.

--
Pete