From: jones on
Windows7 is the only operating sys installed.
Several months ago, Windows boot manager started appearing at startup
and after starting,
when I clicked on start, I would get a small progress bar across the
search area. After that the screen would go dark momentarily and then
start. I formatted the hard drive and reinstalled win7. Everything
was fine for several months and it is starting again. Should I have
gone farther and repartitioned the HD? Any ideas? Do I have a
virus? Has anyone heard of this? Thanks in advance, Jones.
From: David H. Lipman on
From: "jones" <till_00(a)yahoo.com>

| Windows7 is the only operating sys installed.
| Several months ago, Windows boot manager started appearing at startup
| and after starting,
| when I clicked on start, I would get a small progress bar across the
| search area. After that the screen would go dark momentarily and then
| start. I formatted the hard drive and reinstalled win7. Everything
| was fine for several months and it is starting again. Should I have
| gone farther and repartitioned the HD? Any ideas? Do I have a
| virus? Has anyone heard of this? Thanks in advance, Jones.

Please don't assume it is a virus. Most malware are not viruses and are trojans and thus
non-viral malware.

What you post does not sound like malware but something you are not used to in the Win7
OS.

What anti virus/anti malware do you have installed, besides Windows Defender ?

--
Dave

From: jones on
On May 16, 6:39 pm, "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nosp...(a)Verizon.Net>
wrote:
> From: "jones" <till...(a)yahoo.com>
>
> | Windows7 is the only operating sys installed.
> | Several months ago, Windows boot manager started appearing at startup
> | and after starting,
> | when I clicked on start, I would get a small progress bar across the
> | search area.  After that the screen would go dark momentarily and then
> | start.  I formatted the hard drive and reinstalled win7.  Everything
> | was fine for several months and it is starting again.  Should I have
> | gone farther and repartitioned the HD?  Any ideas?  Do I have a
> | virus?  Has anyone heard of this?  Thanks in advance, Jones.
>
> Please don't assume it is a virus.  Most malware are not viruses and are trojans and thus
> non-viral malware.
>
> What you post does not sound like malware but something you are not used to in the Win7
> OS.
>
> What anti virus/anti malware do you have installed, besides Windows Defender ?
>
> --
> Davehttp://www.claymania.com/removal-trojan-adware.html
> Multi-AV -http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp

I use McAfee and it is updated on a regular basis. I ran a full scan
when this was happening and it showed no problems.
Afterwards, when I was sitting here thinking, the av program went red
in several places, stating that I had lost protection and
did I want it fixed. I clicked ok and then a message came up saying
that it was unable to complete the job. But, the problem
appears to have cleared up-for now. Hopefully, for good! I would
like to understand what is going on and that is why I posted.
It could be something that I am not used to in W7, that would be very
interesting-especially after formatting the HD to get rid of it. :)
Thanks again. Jones.
From: David H. Lipman on
From: "jones" <till_00(a)yahoo.com>

| I use McAfee and it is updated on a regular basis. I ran a full scan
| when this was happening and it showed no problems.
| Afterwards, when I was sitting here thinking, the av program went red
| in several places, stating that I had lost protection and
| did I want it fixed. I clicked ok and then a message came up saying
| that it was unable to complete the job. But, the problem
| appears to have cleared up-for now. Hopefully, for good! I would
| like to understand what is going on and that is why I posted.
| It could be something that I am not used to in W7, that would be very
| interesting-especially after formatting the HD to get rid of it. :)
| Thanks again. Jones.

McAfee just isn't that good anymore and stating "the av program went red in several
places, stating that I had lost protection and did I want it fixed" doesn'r really help.
:-(

Download, install, update and then execute, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

Dave

From: JD on
The Real Truth MVP wrote:
> Try upgrading your video drivers.

The Real Truth MVP is not listed on the MVP list:

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

The web page http://www.ms-mvp.org/ uses Godaddy's stealth
frame-redirection to redirect you to:
http://pcbutts1.com/downloads/tools/tools.htm

Check out �pcbutts� using your favorite search engine.

Can you really trust someone like this? Do you really want to follow his
advice?

--
JD..