From: hwbuerger on
I plan to have no local account on a Windows XP prof. PC with admin rights.
(Administrator Account disabled)
For admin rights on the PC's, I plan to add a Domain account to the local
administration group.
How I insure, that I can login in with admin rights any time even when the
PC is not connected to the Domain? Is there a need for a local account with
admin rights?
Thanks, HW
From: Bruce Chambers on
hwbuerger wrote:
> I plan to have no local account on a Windows XP prof. PC with admin rights.
> (Administrator Account disabled)

Very unwise. What are you trying to accomplish, beyond making many
useful diagnostic and repair techniques useless?

> For admin rights on the PC's, I plan to add a Domain account to the local
> administration group.

That's normal for a domain environment.

> How I insure, that I can login in with admin rights any time even when the
> PC is not connected to the Domain?

Only by having a local account with administrative privileges.

> Is there a need for a local account with
> admin rights?

Yes, of course there needs to be a local admin account. The standard
security practice is to rename the built-in Administrator account, set a
strong password on it, and use it only to create another accounts for
regular use, reserving the Administrator account as a "back door" in
case something corrupts your regular account(s).

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot
From: Anteaus on

You would only be able to login with domain admin credentials if that
account had logged-in previously, and the credentials had been cached. Which
is basically an unwise assumption to make.

So, yes you need a local account.

Besides, logging-in to a client computer as domain admin is not a good
policy, as it exposes the server(s) to any malware running on the client.
Remember that the domain admin account has unlimited power to modify settings
on *ANY* domain computer it can see across the wire.