From: good12find on
I have an Access 97 database that I've been developing since '98.
All seems to have been fine until about 5 years ago. The database exits or
crashes for no reason. I have been trying to figure this out for years, but
cant seem to identify the cause. I've tried all kinds of tips on corruption
without success.
Recently I was able to reproduce the problem.
I went directly into a design view of a report and the system exited out,
back to my desktop.
The query driving the report had a long name of "Quote Like Status Summary
by Cust". I then changed it to "Quote_Line_Status_Summary_by_Cust".
This seemed to help, but not eliminate the problem. I can now go into the
design view of the report without it crashing. But the system still crashes
on occassion for no apparent reason.
The problem is, my database is built on long names for the objects, reports,
etc.

My question is, are the long names causing my database to crash all the time?

Any insight would be extremely appreciated.
From: 孙光耀 on
gfghb

From: Jerry Whittle on
I doubt that it's the long names. Also Access 97 is usually very stable.

Tony Toews has an excellent web page on database corruption.
Http://www.granite.ab.ca/access/corruptmdbs.htm

Allen Brown also has excellent info on corruption.
Http://allenbrowne.com/ser-47.html

I have a white paper in a Word document named Fix Corrupt Access Database.
Click on "Whittle, Jerry" on this page:
http://www.rogersaccesslibrary.com/forum/default.asp?C=1
--
Jerry Whittle, Microsoft Access MVP

From: Jerry Whittle on
I wouldn't think so. There's probably something else going on.

From: good12find on
Hi Jerry,
Thank you very much. I've acually gone through these and just cant seem to
figure out what is going on.
I'm not sure I get any indications of corruption. The database will just
exit. No warnings, messages, nothing. I then reopen and all is fine.
I'm running a front end / back end database. All on 97.
It worked flawlessly for about 5 years, then out of the blue would crash (or
exit) for no reason. In the meantime I've done the following :
Run on Win2k and XP front ends
Win2k3 server back end OS
Changed hardware, Servers, desktops, routers, hubs, etc.
I also run Peactree - wondered if it conflicts with Btrieve that it uses.
I've created new databases, imported all info over, even converted to text
first, then imported, eliminated all memo fields, use no add-ins, no OLE or
ODBC. Just cant figure it out.
We've just been using it this way for years.
But it is a thorn in my side because there must be a reason for it.
Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

I had another thought. I have the backend passwork protected. Would this
be an issue?

"Jerry Whittle" wrote:

> I wouldn't think so. There's probably something else going on.
>
> Tony Toews has an excellent web page on database corruption.
> Http://www.granite.ab.ca/access/corruptmdbs.htm
>
> Allen Brown also has excellent info on corruption.
> Http://allenbrowne.com/ser-47.html
>
> I have a white paper in a Word document named Fix Corrupt Access Database.
> Click on "Whittle, Jerry" on this page:
> http://www.rogersaccesslibrary.com/forum/default.asp?C=1
> --
> Jerry Whittle, Microsoft Access MVP
>

> "good12find" wrote:
>
> > I have an Access 97 database that I've been developing since '98.
> > All seems to have been fine until about 5 years ago. The database exits or
> > crashes for no reason. I have been trying to figure this out for years, but
> > cant seem to identify the cause. I've tried all kinds of tips on corruption
> > without success.
> > Recently I was able to reproduce the problem.
> > I went directly into a design view of a report and the system exited out,
> > back to my desktop.
> > The query driving the report had a long name of "Quote Like Status Summary
> > by Cust". I then changed it to "Quote_Line_Status_Summary_by_Cust".
> > This seemed to help, but not eliminate the problem. I can now go into the
> > design view of the report without it crashing. But the system still crashes
> > on occassion for no apparent reason.
> > The problem is, my database is built on long names for the objects, reports,
> > etc.
> >
> > My question is, are the long names causing my database to crash all the time?
> >
> > Any insight would be extremely appreciated.
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: Conditional Formatting a Date
Next: Date problem