From: Falcon ITS on
I use the following equipment successfully in my own house to get
strong wireless coverage throughtout my entire home.

I use Powerline adapters to run ethernet over my AC power grid:

http://www.netgear.com/Products/PowerlineNetworking/PowerlineEthernetAdapters.aspx

I have spread out 3 Netgear WTG-604 access point routers (about $
39.00 in Staples) and connect them each to a powerline adapter.

I set up each access point to have the same SSID and WEP key. Each
access points is hardwired with a static IP and I connect the
powerline adapter to the LAN ports, NOT the WAN port. I get the same
wireless signal throughout my entire house. I can walk around and not
lose my signal. The signal is very strong no matter where I am.

It has been very reliable considering how inexpensive the stuff was.

Miguel Fra
Falcon ITS
http://www.falconits.com
From: Jack [MVP-Networking] on
Hi
They do not wear out from use.
However, if used in an unventilated environment and tend to get Hot, the
excessive heat can wear them out over time.
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

From: jch on
Don Phillipson wrote:
> Two or three years ago I installed a Trendnet TEW-432BRP
> (802.11g) wireless router to link upstairs with downstairs
> (and out to the Internet via wireless router with antenna).
> This home network works reasonably well about 28 days
> a month;

Sounds hormonal to me. Is this a female network?

From: Barb Bowman on
the threat is more likely to be "drive by", for example 16 year olds with time
on their hands.

On Sun, 7 Mar 2010 19:54:25 -0800 (PST), Falcon ITS <miguel(a)falconits.com>
wrote:

>I know my neighbors pretty well (median age 80) so I am not quite so
>worried about my home DSL getting hacked.
Barb Bowman
MS-MVP
http://www.digitalmediaphile.com
http://digitalmediaphile.wordpress.com