From: JimKovach on
I have the same permissions problem on several sites with document
library permissions and different users. Example: I have a site for
our Sales department and a document library called Sales Orders. When
I view the permissions for that DL, there is a user with View, insert,
edit, delete items. This user is able to upload files fine, but they
are not able to delete any file (even one's they upload) and cannot
modify/edit any document. If they try to delete it, they get an error
'Access denied. You do not have permission to perform this action or
access this resource. '

The only way I found to work was to give the user Contributor access to
the entire site. Obviously this is not a good solution. I have tried
deleting/re-creating the DL and assinging the same permissions with no
luck. I also tried to re-create the site and DL with no luck.

We are running Sharepoint 2003 w/ sp2, and SQL 2000 w/ sp4.

Thanks in advance
Jim

From: Engelbert on
There is no single "SharePoint 2003" product. As you posted to the newsgroup
for WSS can we assume that is the product you are using ?

Are you saying that you have a user who dos not have delete/modify/edit
rights to a site but who does have delete/modify/edit rights to a document
library contained within that site?

(and that when you give them these rights to the site then they are allowed
to use these rights in the document library?)

There's a certain logic in that given the structure of
site/(sub-site)/document library - the usual use for restrictions in
document library usage is for the *people* able to do things in the document
library to be a sub-set of the people able to do things in the site rather
than to give people additional rights in a document library.

So there's a possible explanation but apart from someone else posting
earlier with the same question, I can't say that I've seen anything here or
in the documentation restricting this kind of thing.

Engelbert

From: JimKovach on
I created a group on the site level and then gave that group the
necessary permissions to the document library. I don't really see the
difference between giving a group permissins as opposed to an
individual, but it worked so I am not complaining. Thanks for you
quick response.

Jim