From: Robert Klemme on
On 04.06.2010 15:22, botp wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 4, 2010 at 8:57 PM, Robert Klemme
> <shortcutter(a)googlemail.com> wrote:
>> 2010/6/4 Run Paint Run Run<runrun(a)runpaint.org>:
>>> In the absence of a consensus, I suppose I'll keep to this kind of
>>> format ( http://ruby.runpaint.org/methods ) for now. Maybe if interest
>>> picks up subsequently, I'll look at making the chapters editable
>>> similar to what Mohit suggested.
>>
>> Thanks for your effort! Since you said you are writing a book I
>> assume you have particular kinds of readers in mind and will give it a
>> flow so it can be reasonably read from start to end. I don't think a
>> Wiki is a good container for something like that. If you want to
>> allow for user added content then it's probably best to have some kind
>> of commenting functionality (as they do for PostgreSQL documentation,
>> see http://www.postgresql.org/docs/).
>>

> i think you can add comment feature in wikis.

Yes, but a Wiki is organized as a hypertext and not as a sequential
text. That was my main point.

Cheers

robert

http://blog.rubybestpractices.com/
From: Roger Pack on

> So, what's the consensus? :-)

My own preference would be to "enhance" the existing Wikibook

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Ruby_Programming

I've also heard good things about docuwiki, though never used it (and
who needs offline access these days? Only a very small percentage of
ruby developers' time is spent offline, I'd imagine...)
-rp

From: botp on
On Sat, Jun 5, 2010 at 6:12 AM, Roger Pack <rogerpack2005(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Ruby_Programming

i didn't noticed that. thanks for the link.
kind regards -botp

From: Sora Harakami on
+1 for editable "e-book".
and I thought following:
* Can download ebook (like epub, pdf, txt, markdown, etc...).
* Can see by wiki system
* Make snapshot book release
* And make editable by wiki

--
Sora Harakami - @sora_h (Japanese)
Blog: http://codnote.net/

From: Mohit Sindhwani on
On 4/6/2010 3:21 PM, Stuart Ellis wrote:

>>> Not really. They're quite distinct styles. An offline wiki is trivial,
>>> certainly, but it won't have the structure and coherency of a book.
>>>

>> Of course, you're the project owner :P so you know best...
>> But, I'm of the opinion that even in a wiki, we could have a table of contents that would map roughly to chapters and sections so that the coherency is maintained. Someone would need to help to keep the contents categorized into a hierarchy (something that books demand and wikis ignore) such that it is coherent.
>>
>> I guess I'm really pushing for an "editable" e-book... that said, since the source is in git and Markdown (I wish it could be TexTile), changes can be made at source though the barrier is slightly higher..
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Mohit.
>> 4/6/2010 | 12:16 PM.
>>

> -1 to Wiki. I was on a project that tried the idea of developing larger documents with a Wiki, and it just sucked. Wiki UIs are mainly designed for short bits of text, so you end up copying text into an editor, and then double-checking that the page hadn't been edited, and then pasting it back. Edits are often of low quality, one way or another, and need either fact-checking or revision to integrate them into the text to keep it coherent, which is tedious.

How about a book in something like Radiant with comments enabled to
gather feedback?

Cheers,
Mohit.
6/6/2010 | 6:08 PM.