From: Run Paint Run Run on
I'm writing a free ebook about Ruby 1.9 at http://ruby.runpaint.org/ .
I intend for the first release to coincide with that of Ruby 1.9.2,
which gives me just under two months to get it into a reasonable
state. (I realise it's far from that currently).

However, the more I write and plan, I wonder whether the community
would prefer this as a wiki. I'd still write the bulk of the content,
and continue to store it in Git. Markdown would be used for editing.

So, what's the consensus? :-)

From: Mohit Sindhwani on
On 4/6/2010 11:30 AM, Run Paint Run Run wrote:
> I'm writing a free ebook about Ruby 1.9 at http://ruby.runpaint.org/ .
> I intend for the first release to coincide with that of Ruby 1.9.2,
> which gives me just under two months to get it into a reasonable
> state. (I realise it's far from that currently).
>
> However, the more I write and plan, I wonder whether the community
> would prefer this as a wiki. I'd still write the bulk of the content,
> and continue to store it in Git. Markdown would be used for editing.
>
> So, what's the consensus? :-)

I'd say wiki - if it's in Markdown or Textile, it could be easy enough
to wget everything and make it an acceptable PDF/ e-book style file
every now and then?

Cheers,
Mohit.
4/6/2010 | 11:37 AM.

From: botp on
On Fri, Jun 4, 2010 at 11:37 AM, Mohit Sindhwani <mo_mail(a)onghu.com> wrote:
> I'd say wiki - if it's in Markdown or Textile, it could be easy enough to

+1

From: Run Paint Run Run on
> I'd say wiki - if it's in Markdown or Textile, it could be easy enough to
> wget everything and make it an acceptable PDF/ e-book style file every now
> and then?

Not really. They're quite distinct styles. An offline wiki is trivial,
certainly, but it won't have the structure and coherency of a book.

From: Mohit Sindhwani on
On 4/6/2010 11:55 AM, Run Paint Run Run wrote:
>> I'd say wiki - if it's in Markdown or Textile, it could be easy enough to
>> wget everything and make it an acceptable PDF/ e-book style file every now
>> and then?
>>
> Not really. They're quite distinct styles. An offline wiki is trivial,
> certainly, but it won't have the structure and coherency of a book.

Of course, you're the project owner :P so you know best...
But, I'm of the opinion that even in a wiki, we could have a table of
contents that would map roughly to chapters and sections so that the
coherency is maintained. Someone would need to help to keep the
contents categorized into a hierarchy (something that books demand and
wikis ignore) such that it is coherent.

I guess I'm really pushing for an "editable" e-book... that said, since
the source is in git and Markdown (I wish it could be TexTile), changes
can be made at source though the barrier is slightly higher..

Cheers,
Mohit.
4/6/2010 | 12:16 PM.