From: Stuart Ellis on

On 6 Jun 2010, at 11:08, Mohit Sindhwani wrote:

> On 4/6/2010 3:21 PM, Stuart Ellis wrote:

>>> Of course, you're the project owner :P so you know best...
>>> But, I'm of the opinion that even in a wiki, we could have a table of contents that would map roughly to chapters and sections so that the coherency is maintained. Someone would need to help to keep the contents categorized into a hierarchy (something that books demand and wikis ignore) such that it is coherent.
>>>
>>> I guess I'm really pushing for an "editable" e-book... that said, since the source is in git and Markdown (I wish it could be TexTile), changes can be made at source though the barrier is slightly higher..
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Mohit.
>>> 4/6/2010 | 12:16 PM.
>>>

>> -1 to Wiki. I was on a project that tried the idea of developing larger documents with a Wiki, and it just sucked. Wiki UIs are mainly designed for short bits of text, so you end up copying text into an editor, and then double-checking that the page hadn't been edited, and then pasting it back. Edits are often of low quality, one way or another, and need either fact-checking or revision to integrate them into the text to keep it coherent, which is tedious.
>>

> How about a book in something like Radiant with comments enabled to gather feedback?

I think that is a good idea. I''ve now looked through the text, and well, wow, it's a complete draft of a book. It's got a particular style throughout the writing, so fitting casual edits or third-party patches into the text would be hard.

---
Stuart Ellis
stuart(a)stuartellis.eu

From: Roger Pack on

> My own preference would be to "enhance" the existing Wikibook
>
> http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Ruby_Programming

I could sure use some help with editing the wikibook (wink, nudge)... :)
-r