From: James McNangle on
"ronviers(a)gmail.com" <ronviers(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>On Apr 4, 9:06 pm, "KatWoman" <XXXJoliePrincessKatana...(a)hotmail.com>
>> Some here will tell you it's destructive to your original, lose pixel data
>> etc.
>> whatever
>> I say sometimes you don't want every pixel in your original to show or you
>> wouldn't retouch it at all.
>
>I find destructive edits baffling, especially in a case like this when
>there are simple alternatives, but I admit the results are the same
>and I admire the damn the torpedoes attitude.

Thank you all for your suggestions. I will have to do some playing.

And as to the destructive edits, the formula I try to use is to make copies from
the originals before I do anything to them, and leave the originals severely
alone.

James McNangle
From: KatWoman on

<ronviers(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> On Apr 4, 9:06 pm, "KatWoman" <XXXJoliePrincessKatana...(a)hotmail.com>
>> Some here will tell you it's destructive to your original, lose pixel
>> data
>> etc.
>> whatever
>> I say sometimes you don't want every pixel in your original to show or
>> you
>> wouldn't retouch it at all.
>
> I find destructive edits baffling, especially in a case like this when
> there are simple alternatives, but I admit the results are the same
> and I admire the damn the torpedoes attitude

I find saving every pixel of date to be overly fussy and has nothing to do
with the actual end results in a print
and I am also never working on an original so data can be recaptured if
necessary

let's say you make a print in the darkroom, the negative is showing
something you wish to lighten and you dodge it. So on the negative is the
info but the print? no it's not there and for a reason.

I find some repro companies ask you not to CLIP the histograms, they feel
they can get the most from images not clipped, do want them to decide for
you what and how to print your work? I don't.

and what is the difference is making changes on an adjustment layer or a
duplicate layer?? none.
both can be undone easily if necessary.

From: Hunt on
In article <21d9135s6ocmfq2pdrgc9p7duca8ck2l9r(a)4ax.com>,
mcnangle(a)westnet.com.au says...

>"ronviers(a)gmail.com" <ronviers(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>On Apr 4, 9:06 pm, "KatWoman" <XXXJoliePrincessKatana...(a)hotmail.com>
>>> Some here will tell you it's destructive to your original, lose pixel data
>>> etc.
>>> whatever
>>> I say sometimes you don't want every pixel in your original to show or you
>>> wouldn't retouch it at all.
>>
>>I find destructive edits baffling, especially in a case like this when
>>there are simple alternatives, but I admit the results are the same
>>and I admire the damn the torpedoes attitude.
>
>Thank you all for your suggestions. I will have to do some playing.
>
>And as to the destructive edits, the formula I try to use is to make copies
from
>the originals before I do anything to them, and leave the originals severely
>alone.
>

>James McNangle

James,
One little trick is to do a Ctrl-J (PC), which will Duplicate your Layer. Do
your work on the Dupe Layer. Two nice bits to that is that 1.) you can then
Blend your 2 Layers, or change the Opacity of the one that you worked on to
modulate the effect, should you choose, and 2.) you still have your original
sitting right below, untouched.

For what I assume your project to be - uneven illumination, you might want to
approach the work in a slightly different fashion. I'd build a Selection that
covers the correctly exposed area to create a Mask. If the falloff is fairly
linear, then it's very simple. Hit Q for Quick Mask Mode and then drag a
Gradient across the image area. You will then see red, fading to transparent
(depending on how you have your Gradient Options setup, and there are a ton,
plus they are almost infinitely variable). Hit Q again and you'll be out of
Quick Mask and see a "marching ants" line at about the 1/2 way point in your
image. With this Selection active (ants are visible and "marching"), Use an
Adjustment Layer, say Levels to adjust the darker portions of the image. The
Selection will become a Layer Mask for that Adjustment Layer.

Hunt

First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2
Prev: Bridge Broken