From: The Natural Philosopher on
Ant wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I am having problems getting my Mozilla's SeaMonkey v2.0.4 (from
> mozilla.org) and Debian's IceWeasel v3.5.8 (aka Firefox) to use my Sun
> JRE v1.6.0u20 (and earlier builds from Sun.com). I also tried Debian's
> apt-get install with b16 (yeah, a bit old). My Java plugin used to work,
> but I think the newer OpenOffice version and its requirements of Java
> broke it when I apt-get upgraded a few weeks ago.

I think it does.

You may find it best to do what I did, set up backports as a preferred
repository, and use latest open office, kernel and java.

Its got a much later open office, and mine all works pretty much fine.
From: The Natural Philosopher on
Ant wrote:
> On 4/19/2010 12:49 PM PT, Tauno Voipio typed:

>>> What do you mean by backports?
>>
>> Have a look at http://backports.org/
>
> Interesting. Do many people use it in Debian?

I did it to get a later kernel than 'stable' which seems to work better
with my Intel video stuff.

Mind you., its just blown away google earth.

there's a version mismatch in the backports 32 bit compatibility libraries.

Sigh.
From: Ant on
On 4/19/2010 11:09 PM PT, The Natural Philosopher typed:

>>> Have a look at http://backports.org/
>>
>> Interesting. Do many people use it in Debian?
>
> I did it to get a later kernel than 'stable' which seems to work better
> with my Intel video stuff.
>
> Mind you., its just blown away google earth.
>
> there's a version mismatch in the backports 32 bit compatibility libraries.

Ugh, I use 32-bit libraries. I will pass then since I already have
enough problems. Thanks though! :)
--
"... [Let us inquire] what glory there was in an omnipotent being
torturing forever a puny little creature who could in no way defend
From: The Natural Philosopher on
Ant wrote:
> On 4/19/2010 11:09 PM PT, The Natural Philosopher typed:

>>> Interesting. Do many people use it in Debian?
>>
>> I did it to get a later kernel than 'stable' which seems to work better
>> with my Intel video stuff.
>>
>> Mind you., its just blown away google earth.
>>
>> there's a version mismatch in the backports 32 bit compatibility
>> libraries.
>
> Ugh, I use 32-bit libraries. I will pass then since I already have
> enough problems. Thanks though! :)

well somehow I made it use backports for everything, not just what I
probably needed.

So I got a later sound library that fixes some issues with VLC I think.
Which I needed for something else..

If you don't need the latest you don't HAVE to use ALL the backports.

From: Ant on
On 4/18/2010 6:50 PM PT, The Natural Philosopher typed:

> You may find it best to do what I did, set up backports as a preferred
> repository, and use latest open office, kernel and java.
>
> Its got a much later open office, and mine all works pretty much fine.

What do you mean by backports?
--
"Where the sugar is, there will the ant be also." --Philippines