From: Sidney Lambe on
On comp.os.linux.setup, Steve Hayes <hayesstw(a)telkomsa.net>
wrote:

> I installed Fedora 12, but it doesn't display graphics properly
> on my computer.
>
> If I want to try another distro, should I reformat the disk
> partition first, or should I just install it over the Fedora
> one?

You should find out why Fedora 12 doesn't display graphics
properly on your computer and fix the problem. It obviously
works just fine for almost everyone else.

You could start by describing the problem in detail.

Or you could remain an ignorant appliance operator who
really should just stick with Windows.

> Are there any other distros that can read NTFS partitions?

They all can. This is something the kernel does, not
a distro. If the functionality is built into the kernel
at compile time, or as a module then or later, then
it can read NTFS partitions.

Although why anyone would want to do that, I cannot imagine.
I wouldn't allow a M$ OS on one my of computers.

Sid

From: Bit Twister on
On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 06:33:24 +0200, Steve Hayes wrote:

> If I want to try another distro, should I reformat the disk partition first,
> or should I just install it over the Fedora one?

Either way should work. When in doubt, why not reformat.

From: David W. Hodgins on
On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 00:33:24 -0400, Steve Hayes <hayesstw(a)telkomsa.net> wrote:

> I installed Fedora 12, but it doesn't display graphics properly on my
> computer.
> If I want to try another distro, should I reformat the disk partition first,
> or should I just install it over the Fedora one?

You need to figure out why graphics are not being displayed
properly.

Most linux distributions use the same kernel modules (drivers
in windows speak) to control the hardware.

What is the output of "lspci|grep VGA" showing?

> Are there any other distros that can read NTFS partitions?

Most distributions include ntfs-3g which allows read/write
access to ntfs partitions. Some distributions make it easy,
while some make it hard, due to the permissions on the programs
and ownership of the files. With any distro, those can be
changed.

Regards, Dave Hodgins

From: Nico Kadel-Garcia on
On Apr 19, 4:44 am, Steve Hayes <hayes...(a)telkomsa.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 03:18:21 -0400, "David W. Hodgins"
>
> <dwhodg...(a)nomail.afraid.org> wrote:
> >On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 00:33:24 -0400, Steve Hayes <hayes...(a)telkomsa.net> wrote:
>
> >> I installed Fedora 12, but it doesn't display graphics properly on my
> >> computer.
> >> If I want to try another distro, should I reformat the disk partition first,
> >> or should I just install it over the Fedora one?
>
> >You need to figure out why graphics are not being displayed
> >properly.
>
> It doesn't appear to recognise my monitor.
>
> The highest resolution it will display is 800x600
>

> >Most linux distributions use the same kernel modules (drivers
> >in windows speak) to control the hardware.
>
> >What is the output of "lspci|grep VGA" showing?
>
> 02:00.0 VGA compatible controller nVidia Corporation NVCrush 11 [GeForce2 MX
> Integrated Graphics] (rev 1b)
>
> >> Are there any other distros that can read NTFS partitions?
>
> >Most distributions include ntfs-3g which allows read/write
> >access to ntfs partitions.  Some distributions make it easy,
> >while some make it hard, due to the permissions on the programs
> >and ownership of the files.  With any distro, those can be
> >changed.
>
> Thanks.

Good morning, Steve. Nvidia controllers are, in and of themselves, an
issue. nVidia publishes a funky driver toolkit that installs a little
kernel widget, moves aside your system's "Mesa" libraries that handle
OpenGL, and replaces them with nVidia's own closed source libraries,
in order to enable all those splufty cool nVidia features but avoid
publishing the actual specifications. I personally consider this rude
as heck, and unstable, but you've got the hardware you've got.

Also, while your particular monitor may not be listed in the
configuration tools, it should be possible to look up from your
manufacturer core characteristics to set up a "custom" monitor
configuration. These include:

Vertical. (known as refresh rate typically 60 Hz for an LCD monitor,
more like 50-70 for CRT's.)
Horizontal (known as scan rate, depends a lot on the monitor)
Maximum resolution (depends on physical monitor)

You should be able to manually enter those. If your video card is not
correctly detected, or too limited, it won't be able to use the
highest settings for the monitor, but most nVidia integrated chipsets
should do reasonable 1200x1024, minimum. What driver is listed in /etc/
X11/xorg.conf for the video controller?