From: Gladys on
According to the datasheet, The Spartan 6 family has

Broad third-party SPI (up to x4) and NOR flash support
Feature rich Xilinx Platform Flash with JTAG

I don't quite understans if it supports NAND flash?
I want to build and FPGA + ARM platform, each component has their own
flash.
How do you think, should I use just one NAND flash for both FPGA and
processor access?
Is NAND flash compatible with Xilinx Spartan 6?
Anyone could help mepleas, Thank you.

Gladys
From: Gabor on
On Jun 15, 5:49 am, Gladys <yuhu...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> According to the datasheet, The Spartan 6 family has
>
> Broad third-party SPI (up to x4) and NOR flash support
> Feature rich Xilinx Platform Flash with JTAG
>
> I don't quite understans if it supports NAND flash?
> I want to build and FPGA + ARM platform, each component has their own
> flash.
> How do you think, should I use just one NAND flash for both FPGA and
> processor access?
> Is NAND flash compatible with Xilinx Spartan 6?
> Anyone could help mepleas, Thank you.
>
> Gladys

The point of SPI and NOR flash compatibility is that the FPGA is
capable of configuring itself from these devices without any
external glue logic required. It cannot do that with a NAND
flash. The FPGA can certainly be programmed to use NAND flash
for its storage requirements other than configuration. In that
case you would still need some other device to configure the
FPGA on power-up. Depending on the size of the non-configuration
data required by the FPGA you may or may not want to hook it
to the NAND flash if the processor has its own NAND flash interface.
If the FPGA only needs a small amount of storage, you can use
the same SPI flash that configures it, using the portion of
the flash beyond the configuration bitstream.

Regards,
Gabor