From: asimlink on
Dear Friends,

i am using Altium Designer for fpga and embedded project on digilent
spartan3E-500 board.
I have created an FPGA project in Altium using open bus document
containing three device:
1. TSK3000A
2. WB_PRTIO_1 (for leds)
3. WB_UART_V2_1
Added a top level schematic sheet. Added constraint file to the
project containing correct fpga pin designators. Configured the
TSK3000 memory size as 16K. The fpga project gets synthesized and bit
stream is generated without any problem.
Next i created an embedded project and made it child of the TSK3000
cpu.
Configured Aplication Memory as 0-8K as ROM and 8k-16K as ram.
Adjusted the Stack size to 512. Heap size " " (nothing not even 0).
Created main.c and software platform document. My software platform
document contains:
hardware rappers:
1. WB_PRTIO_1
2. WB_UART_V2_1
and driver files:
1. DRV_PRTIO_1
2. DRV_UART_V2_1

following is my main.c:
#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdint.h>
#include <drv_uart8.h>
#include <drv_ioport.h>
#include "hardware.h"
#include "devices.h"

uart8_t* uart;
ioport_t* ioport;

void main(void)
{
int value=0;
uart = uart8_open(DRV_UART8_1); //uart8_t* uart8_open(int id);
uart8_set_baudrate(uart,19200);
ioport = ioport_open(DRV_IOPORT_1); //ioport_t* ioport_open(const int
id);
value = uart8_write(uart,"helloworld\n", 20);
ioport_set_value(ioport, WB_PRTIO_1, 0xaa);
ioport_set_value(ioport, WB_PRTIO_1, 0x55);

while (1)
{
//int uart8_putchar(uart8_t *restrict drv, int val);
//uart8_putchar(uart, uart8_getchar(uart)); //int
uart8_getchar(uart8_t *restrict drv);
uart8_putchar(uart, 'U');

}

}
---------------------------------
I have attached pc com port with my boards serial port and running
hyper terminal on the other end of the serial cable.
Now the problem is:
I can write to leds without any problem but i never see prints from
uart8_write(); function.

I have following questions which I hope someone will come up with
answers:
1. How to compute value of stack requirement?
2. How to compute value for heap?
3. What might be wrong with my design that i dont see message on the
serial port?
4. How can i configure my embedded design to re-direct printf output
to UART?

Regards.