From: Mark Hobley on
On Mon, 14 Jun 2010 01:02:21 +0100, Theo Markettos wrote:

>> I am not sure how to switch to port 587 (in this case my mail client is
>> Debian reportbug, which makes a direct connection via smtp.)
>
> By default it seems to use sendmail or whatever fulfills that function
> on your machine. If you want it to send direct, you need to add:
> --smtphost=HOST[:PORT]
> to the command line. You can also configure this permanently if you
> wish.

I haven't got a working mail transport agent on this machine at this
time. The reportbug tool communicates directly with the external smtp
server hosted by Three Mobile.

--
/local/home/mark/.Signature

From: Mark Hobley on
On Mon, 14 Jun 2010 01:17:58 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

> One thing I did find, is that 3 mobiles DNS servers were not fit for
> purpose. I installed BIND as a local DNS proxy server.

I had the same problem. I am using the DNS servers provided by Google at
the moment, until I can find one in Great Britain.

Mark.

> frankly the whole affair merely proved to me that where I needed mobile
> internet - away from my usual places of work - it didn't actually work.
>
> I returned the loaned dongle to its owner, who wryly observed 'didn't
> work for you, either huh?' :-)

I have a relatively complicated setup here, my network is ethernet, this
goes via a router, which originally went to a cable modem. I have removed
the cable modem, and I now use a broadband router, which has a mobile
dongle plugged into the back. The broadband router makes the connection
to the internet via the Three Mobile dongle.

--
/local/home/mark/.Signature