From: General Schvantzkoph on
I don't seem to be able to ssh into my systems on port 22 anymore, high
ports work fine. Has Comcast started blocking port 22?

From: Moe Trin on
On 9 Jun 2010, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux.networking, in article
<87al6lFfu8U1(a)mid.individual.net>, General Schvantzkoph wrote:

>I don't seem to be able to ssh into my systems on port 22 anymore,
>high ports work fine. Has Comcast started blocking port 22?

[compton ~]$ whatis hping2 hping3 tcptraceroute
hping2 (8) - send (almost) arbitrary TCP/IP packets to network hosts
hping3 (8) - send (almost) arbitrary TCP/IP packets to network hosts
tcptraceroute (8) - A traceroute implementation using TCP packets
[compton ~]$

Old guy
From: Mike Bleiweiss on
On 2010-06-10, Moe Trin <ibuprofin(a)painkiller.example.tld.invalid> wrote:
> On 9 Jun 2010, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux.networking, in article
><87al6lFfu8U1(a)mid.individual.net>, General Schvantzkoph wrote:
>
>>I don't seem to be able to ssh into my systems on port 22 anymore,
>>high ports work fine. Has Comcast started blocking port 22?
>
> [compton ~]$ whatis hping2 hping3 tcptraceroute
> hping2 (8) - send (almost) arbitrary TCP/IP packets to network hosts
> hping3 (8) - send (almost) arbitrary TCP/IP packets to network hosts
> tcptraceroute (8) - A traceroute implementation using TCP packets
> [compton ~]$
>
> Old guy

And there you have it, straight outta compton.

--
Mike Bleiweiss
Devout Unixophile
From: General Schvantzkoph on
On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 14:48:02 -0500, Moe Trin wrote:

> On 9 Jun 2010, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux.networking, in
> article <87al6lFfu8U1(a)mid.individual.net>, General Schvantzkoph wrote:
>
>>I don't seem to be able to ssh into my systems on port 22 anymore, high
>>ports work fine. Has Comcast started blocking port 22?
>
> [compton ~]$ whatis hping2 hping3 tcptraceroute hping2 (8) -
> send (almost) arbitrary TCP/IP packets to network hosts hping3
> (8) - send (almost) arbitrary TCP/IP packets to network hosts
> tcptraceroute (8) - A traceroute implementation using TCP packets
> [compton ~]$
>
> Old guy

I've done port scans using external scan tools, specifically Gibson
Research's ShieldsUp. It shows that port 22 is in Stealth mode (to use
Gibson's parlance), the high ports that I've assigned to ssh on a couple
of my machines are shown as Open which gives me confidence that their
port scanner works.

What I would like to know is if Comcast has blocked port 22 everywhere or
if it's just my line or my town? If any of you have Comcast would you
mine checking to see if you can access port 22.

BTW I did see an exchange in an online Forum about this issue where a
Comcast rep claimed that they don't block port 22 but that they were
having a technical problem which they were working on. That response was
from May 21. I'm still seeing the problem today (June 11) which leads me
to believe that Comcast is lying about not blocking port 22.

From: Maxwell Lol on
General Schvantzkoph <schvantzkoph(a)yahoo.com> writes:

> What I would like to know is if Comcast has blocked port 22 everywhere or
> if it's just my line or my town? If any of you have Comcast would you
> mine checking to see if you can access port 22.

Well, you can always use another port number for your home machine.
It's a good idea for other reasons as well. My port gets bruteforced
several times a day (which is why I auto-firewall attempts)