From: Maxwell Lol on
Rick Jones <rick.jones2(a)hp.com> writes:

> Do you then have a commercial/business account with Comcast? I'd
> think their commercial/business support reps would be a bit more
> helpful/useful than their residential ones.

Multiplying large numbers times zero comes to mind.
From: Maxwell Lol on
General Schvantzkoph <schvantzkoph(a)yahoo.com> writes:

> I'm using the residential version (I have a home office). The business
> service is slower and more expensive than the home version so there is no
> reason to use it.

I have a residential account, and use openssl to create a VPN to a
small ISP, who gives me a static IP address, and DAMN good support.

I think of some of the questions I've had, and I cannot imagine
Comcast or roadrunner even understanding the concepts.

But perhaps others have had better experiences....
From: Maxwell Lol on
ibuprofin(a)painkiller.example.tld.invalid (Moe Trin) writes:

> That's nice, but has nothing to do with identifying the problem. The
> ShieldsUp toy is a windoze-user-friendly wrapper around nmap to make an
> 'end-to-end' attempt. It says nothing about the intermediate hops.

I doubt it's a wrapper around nmap. Gibson writes 99% of his code in
assembler, and likes to reinvent wheels.

From: General Schvantzkoph on
On Sat, 12 Jun 2010 07:41:10 -0400, Maxwell Lol wrote:

> General Schvantzkoph <schvantzkoph(a)yahoo.com> writes:
>
>> I'm using the residential version (I have a home office). The business
>> service is slower and more expensive than the home version so there is
>> no reason to use it.
>
> I have a residential account, and use openssl to create a VPN to a small
> ISP, who gives me a static IP address, and DAMN good support.
>
> I think of some of the questions I've had, and I cannot imagine Comcast
> or roadrunner even understanding the concepts.
>
> But perhaps others have had better experiences....

I use dyndns which is as good as having a static IP. Comcast's IP
addresses are effectively static, the only time I've ever seen them
change is when I've replaced a modem. I have two domains, my company
domain which is hosted at a hosting service and is used for e-mail and my
website, and a personal domain which I have at dyndns and which is used
for ssh access.

From: Maxwell Lol on
General Schvantzkoph <schvantzkoph(a)yahoo.com> writes:

> I use dyndns which is as good as having a static IP. Comcast's IP
> addresses are effectively static, the only time I've ever seen them
> change is when I've replaced a modem. I have two domains, my company
> domain which is hosted at a hosting service and is used for e-mail and my
> website, and a personal domain which I have at dyndns and which is used
> for ssh access.

Just wondering - Comcast block incoming connections to port 22, right?

And you say that some corporate firewalls block outgoing access to
strange (not 22) port numbers.

And software updates are initiated from the corporate side, right?
So they require port 22?

Well, I'd move the files from your private domain to your commercial
domain using whatever port number you want, and have the customers
update their software from your commercial domain (and port 22).

Otherwise, you have to work around Comcast's restrictions.