From: Rick Jones on
General Schvantzkoph <schvantzkoph(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> Using a non-standard port is a problem for this application. I'm
> running an ssh server which I use to distribute software to my
> customers.

Do you then have a commercial/business account with Comcast? I'd
think their commercial/business support reps would be a bit more
helpful/useful than their residential ones.

rick jones
From: General Schvantzkoph on
On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 16:50:54 +0000, Rick Jones wrote:

> General Schvantzkoph <schvantzkoph(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Using a non-standard port is a problem for this application. I'm
>> running an ssh server which I use to distribute software to my
>> customers.
>
> Do you then have a commercial/business account with Comcast? I'd think
> their commercial/business support reps would be a bit more
> helpful/useful than their residential ones.
>
> rick jones

I'm using the residential version (I have a home office). The business
service is slower and more expensive than the home version so there is no
reason to use it.
From: General Schvantzkoph on

> You can run an sshd server on any port you wish, so why use standard
> port 22?

Because I use this server to distribute software to my clients. The port
number doesn't matter to small companies but it does to large
enterprises. The firewalls in large companies block access on non-
standard ports, I've run into this a couple of times.
From: Rick Jones on
General Schvantzkoph <schvantzkoph(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 16:50:54 +0000, Rick Jones wrote:
> > Do you then have a commercial/business account with Comcast? I'd
> > think their commercial/business support reps would be a bit more
> > helpful/useful than their residential ones.

> I'm using the residential version (I have a home office). The
> business service is slower and more expensive than the home version
> so there is no reason to use it.

Well, apart from the fine-print in the service agreement :)

rick jones
--
It is not a question of half full or empty - the glass has a leak.
From: Moe Trin on
On 11 Jun 2010, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux.networking, in article
<87ei5jF6nrU1(a)mid.individual.net>, General Schvantzkoph wrote:

>Moe Trin wrote:

>> General Schvantzkoph wrote:

>>> I don't seem to be able to ssh into my systems on port 22 anymore,
>>> highports work fine. Has Comcast started blocking port 22?

>> [compton ~]$ whatis hping2 hping3 tcptraceroute

>I've done port scans using external scan tools, specifically Gibson
>Research's ShieldsUp.

That's nice, but has nothing to do with identifying the problem. The
ShieldsUp toy is a windoze-user-friendly wrapper around nmap to make an
'end-to-end' attempt. It says nothing about the intermediate hops.

>What I would like to know is if Comcast has blocked port 22 everywhere
>or if it's just my line or my town? If any of you have Comcast would
>you mine checking to see if you can access port 22.

That's why I suggested those tools specifically including tcptraceroute
which would show which hop between the testing site and your system is
dropping the connection. This would have localized the problem to your
modem or router in under a minute. You _are_ familiar with the original
traceroute (which uses UDP packets rather than TCP), aren't you? It was
developed in _1987_ to allow (quoting the author) "any user, anywhere
on the Internet, to trace the path packets take and isolate routing
loops and black holes." It's not as if this is a new problem. The
two 'hping' applications also have the traceroute capability using
various protocols - specifically including TCP. There are even IPv6
capable versions if that is needed. "tcptraceroute" is usually an
optional package available with most distributions. Check your
distribution CD or the repository if it's not installed.

Old guy