From: Mikey on
I couldn't find any remote desktop related NGs, so I figure this is
the next best thing.
I am having problems trying to connect to a computer via remote
desktop.
My scenario is:
DSL modem, with a static IP, set in pass through mode.
Connected to a Linksys WRT54G wireless router. 2 XP pro machines
connected to it, wirelessly.
I can connect to it fine using log me in, but when I try using RDP,
once I log in, I just get a blank, blue screen.
I can try a bad username and/or password & will be told immediatley
that its wrong.
Port 3389 isn't being blocked & I even have port forwarding set up in
the linksys.
Any suggestions?
From: Bob Campbell on
Hi Mikey,

What is the operating system of the computer you are trying to remote
connect to?

Which remote desktop connection option is allowed?
a. allow connections from computers running any version of remote desktop
b. allow connections only from computers running Remote Desktop with
Network Level Authentication

Are all users allowed or only particular users?

You mention that "2 XP Pro machines connected to it".
Do you mean so say that the 2 machines were able to _remote_ connect to it,
and a third machine can't?

Also, did you try rebooting the remote computer? (This should restart the
RDS service).

Did you make sure the Remote Desktop Services (RDS) service is started on
the remote computer?

Does the Event Viewer on the remote computer give any clues?
Look in Applications and Services Logs | Microsoft | Windows | RemoteApp and
Desktop Connections.

If I were stumped, I'd try to connect to the remote computer from just a
switch, not through a router or from across the Internet. Or somehow narrow
down what could be wrong.

Let us know how you make out. Give us some more details if you like.

Bob.

From: Mikey on
Thanks for the reply.
Computer I'm trying to connect to is running XP pro.
I don't see any options for remote desktop - are these options
available in XP or in later windows versions?
Two users are allowed, both are members of local admin group, as well
as remote desktop users group.
As far as the 'connected to', I was merely describing my network
scenario.
I am waiting for a chance to see if I can connect to it from the other
computer in the LAN & will reboot at the earliest convenience.
Checking the event viewer, I do find the following:
The RDP protocol component X.224 detected an error in the protocol
stream and has disconnected the client.
Will run that through google & get back with what I find...

From: Mikey on
This was the fix from one of the paid forums I belong to:
If you increase the size of the session image space then you can run
remote desktop.
Add the following registry key:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager
\Memory Management]
"SessionImageSize"=dword:00000020