From: adgriffi on
I am REALLY stuck here. I've been trying to solve this for the past two
days!

I have a web application that used to work just great, but recently
started having some problems. This is a .NET application using
framework 1.1.4, being served from a Windows 2003 server.

Our application serves out PDF documents that are stored as BLOBs in an
Oracle 10g DB. Up until a few days ago, this was working fine. All of a
sudden, and for no apparent reason, this *stopped* working the majority
of the time. It does still work *sometimes*, just not most of the time.
The download will start, and the speed will just drop. It drops to
around 15k/s, then down to 5k/s, then to 0.0k/s, all in a matter of
about 5 seconds.

HTML is still served fine in the same application. It seems slower than
before, but it still *works*. Randomly, even the PDFs will download
successfully.

This is what I'm seeing in the IIS log files when it *works*:
sc-status: 200
sc-substatus: 0
sc-win32-status: 0

This is what I'm seeing when the PDF download *doesn't* work:
sc-status: 200
sc-substatus: 0
sc-win32-status: 64

sc-win32-status 64 seems to indicate "The specified network name is no
longer available", but I can't imagine why that would be happening.

I've tried playing with the settings in IIS, I've tested on different
machines - it works fine from the server when using "localhost", but it
doesn't work anywhere else, except sporadically. Does this sound like a
network problem (it was working flawlessly a few days ago and we
haven't changed the app)? An application setting? An IIS setting? A
router setting?

Any ideas will be *greatly* appreciated!!

From: Trevor Benedict R on
Do you have content Expiry set to Expire Immediately. If so can you remove
it and try and let the group know.

Regards,

Trevor Benedict R

From: Adam on
Hi Trevor,

No, we do not have content expiration enabled. I did play with that
setting yesterday, enabling it, setting it to expire in one day, etc.,
but that didn't change anything. It is now disabled once again.

The more I look into the problem, the more I think it is a network
issue. The application works flawlessly when accessed via
http://localhost/myApp (tested on three different machines). I know
it's not a bandwidth issue because even though the application is
running locally in those tests the DB backend is still remote, yet the
content is served without a problem.

It's when we access using http://serverName/myApp that the problems
ensue.

Adam

From: Trevor Benedict R on
I suspect the same. Do you have a Network Admin who could help you check the
Network Adapter and also the connection between the client and server.

Regards,

Trevor Benedict R

From: Adam on
We will be having a network admin come up sometime in the next few days
to run some tests. We've checked the application in other areas of the
building and it's gone without a hitch... the problem seems to be
focused on the floor where I work. So, sounds to me like a
misconfigured / bad network switch.

We'll find out here hopefully before too long. It's still quirky in
that it works sometimes, just not most of the time. Not only that, but
the HTML part of the application is served just fine.