From: Goran on
On Sep 25, 11:15 am, Simon <b...(a)example.com> wrote:
> Goran wrote:
> > If you don't have any very smart and specific reason against... Nah,
> > just embed IE (e.g. CHtmlView) or some other browser engine. You are
> > trying to make it hard for yourself.
>
> > Goran.
>
> I have nothing against using CHtmlView, but the main, (and only real
> one), problem is, what if the user does not have IE?
>
> I know, I know, those are very few and far between, but still,
> I would hate to cancel an installation because the user does not have a
> flavor of IE installed.
>
> The other, (albeit smaller), problem is that I use certain base classes
> like CScrollView and I think I cannot add CHtmlView to those. But I
> would have to play around to be sure.
>
> Simon

I think, even if IE itself is not there, it's building blocks are
(mshtml.dll ).

E.g. HtmlHelp (a system component) uses same rendering engine.

Goran.
From: Joseph M. Newcomer on
Actually, if anyone is "bugged" around here, it is the rest of us for seeing your constant
putdown of codeproject. Note that the correct term is "buggy". I presume you have
written a better version, and have made it available...
joe

On Fri, 25 Sep 2009 01:36:17 -0700 (PDT), patrick <patrick.beltranne(a)caramail.com> wrote:

>On 25 sep, 08:32, Simon <b...(a)example.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am looking for a function that would allow me to output text on the
>> screen with HTML markings.
>>
>> There is a function, (DrawHTML( ...) on codeproject,
>
>Useless (and bugged..)
>Simply use the HTML Windows native control.
Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer(a)flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
From: Joseph M. Newcomer on
That is not possible. You are confusing "what browswer the user likes" from "what is
built into Windows". Even if the user deletes the iexplorer.exe, that is just a wrapper
around the basic HTML control. And lots and lots of components of Windows depend on its
existence.

You are worrying about a problem that cannot exist.
joe

From: Simon on
Joseph M. Newcomer wrote:
> That is not possible. You are confusing "what browswer the user likes" from "what is
> built into Windows". Even if the user deletes the iexplorer.exe, that is just a wrapper
> around the basic HTML control. And lots and lots of components of Windows depend on its
> existence.
>
> You are worrying about a problem that cannot exist.

What made you think I was confused?

There are some articles on the web that, although strongly advise
against, show how to completely remove IE from their machines.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Explorer#Removal
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Removal_of_Internet_Explorer

I don't seem to find a definitive article from MS that indicate that
CHTMLView, (or similar APIs), will work on Windows regardless if IE is
installed or not.

Simon

From: Alexander Grigoriev on
Sure, that even says:

"The dependencies are not removed through this process, but the Internet
Explorer executable (iexplore.exe) is removed without harming any other
Windows components."

By the way, Safari is integrated to OS X the same way: WebKit (rendering
engine) cannot be removed.