From: Puddin' Man on
I could use some guidance re installation of driver libraries on the Asus web site.

In particular, on:

http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us

under Motherboard - P7H55D-M EVO :

FILE - Intel_Chipset_V9111023_XpVistaWin7.zip
Description Intel Chipset Driver V9.1.1.1023 for Windows 32/64bit XP &
32/64bit Vista & 32/64bit Windows 7.
File Size 5.71 (MBytes) 2009/12/28 update

which defines a driver-library package.

Is anyone familiar with how these things are packaged? How they can/cannot be
used? What would happen if I executed the first AsusSetup.exe file? I've
searched and searched for instructions/documentation and found nothing.

I have an old W2k sp4 OS image that I've used for many years that I've put on
new hardware (eventually for multi-boot with (aargh) Win7-64). It boots
to a safe-mode desktop, detects new hardware, loads a driver or 2 then
freezes/crashes (no error message).

I'm hoping to be able to install chipset etc drivers with the MS Recovery
Console command-line interface. Each of the .inf files contains the string
Signature="$WINDOWS NT$" which (I hope) means they work with W2k.

TIA,
Puddin'

From: jk on
On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 16:54:33 -0500, Puddin' Man
<puddingDOTman(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>I could use some guidance re installation of driver libraries on the Asus web site.
>
>In particular, on:
>
>http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us
>
>under Motherboard - P7H55D-M EVO :
>
>FILE - Intel_Chipset_V9111023_XpVistaWin7.zip
> Description Intel Chipset Driver V9.1.1.1023 for Windows 32/64bit XP &
> 32/64bit Vista & 32/64bit Windows 7.
>File Size 5.71 (MBytes) 2009/12/28 update
>
>which defines a driver-library package.

Well, it's a zip file. Unzip to a directory. Setup.exe will run
something, but in safe mode it can't install, I suppose.

>Is anyone familiar with how these things are packaged? How they can/cannot be
>used? What would happen if I executed the first AsusSetup.exe file? I've
>searched and searched for instructions/documentation and found nothing.
>
>I have an old W2k sp4 OS image that I've used for many years that I've put on
>new hardware (eventually for multi-boot with (aargh) Win7-64). It boots
>to a safe-mode desktop, detects new hardware, loads a driver or 2 then
>freezes/crashes (no error message).
>
>I'm hoping to be able to install chipset etc drivers with the MS Recovery
>Console command-line interface. Each of the .inf files contains the string
>Signature="$WINDOWS NT$" which (I hope) means they work with W2k.

I would'nt do it that way. I would restore the image on the
c-partition/harddisk with the program it has been created with. Per
example acronis or driveimage.
Then boot on a w2k CD (with sp4 slipstreamed) and after the 'F8
agreement' choose repair. That should make it bootable and preserve
registry.

The same procedure with XP.

But my experience with win7 is much better. It is very compatible with
hardware changes, when using an image from another installation. With
internet access after 15 minutes it has found all drivers itself. I
suppose win7 is born with drivers for most common netcards. I have
only seen once, using a 'stationary PC image' on a laptop, that it
would not boot.

best regards

John
From: Puddin' Man on
On Thu, 12 Aug 2010 11:22:55 +0200, jk <johnknuhtsenSP(a)Mail.dk> wrote:

>On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 16:54:33 -0500, Puddin' Man
><puddingDOTman(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>I could use some guidance re installation of driver libraries on the Asus web site.
>>
>>In particular, on:
>>
>>http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us
>>
>>under Motherboard - P7H55D-M EVO :
>>
>>FILE - Intel_Chipset_V9111023_XpVistaWin7.zip
>> Description Intel Chipset Driver V9.1.1.1023 for Windows 32/64bit XP &
>> 32/64bit Vista & 32/64bit Windows 7.
>>File Size 5.71 (MBytes) 2009/12/28 update
>>
>>which defines a driver-library package.
>>
>Well, it's a zip file. Unzip to a directory. Setup.exe will run
>something, but in safe mode it can't install, I suppose.

"something" (you suppose)?? You don't know what it will do.

Nobody knows what it will do? :-( :-( :-(

>>Is anyone familiar with how these things are packaged? How they can/cannot be
>>used? What would happen if I executed the first AsusSetup.exe file? I've
>>searched and searched for instructions/documentation and found nothing.
>>
>>I have an old W2k sp4 OS image that I've used for many years that I've put on
>>new hardware (eventually for multi-boot with (aargh) Win7-64). It boots
>>to a safe-mode desktop, detects new hardware, loads a driver or 2 then
>>freezes/crashes (no error message).
>>
>>I'm hoping to be able to install chipset etc drivers with the MS Recovery
>>Console command-line interface. Each of the .inf files contains the string
>>Signature="$WINDOWS NT$" which (I hope) means they work with W2k.
>>
>I would'nt do it that way. I would restore the image on the
>c-partition/harddisk with the program it has been created with. Per
>example acronis or driveimage.
>Then boot on a w2k CD (with sp4 slipstreamed) and after the 'F8
>agreement' choose repair. That should make it bootable and preserve
>registry.

My W2k CD (with sp4 slipstreamed) has drivers from about 6 to 10 years ago?
The P7H55D-M EVO board has H55 chipset for which drivers were released only
this year. I don't see how "Repair" could do the job, assuming that W2k
fails due to lack of appropriate driver(s).

Nobody knows how this stuff is supposed to work?

Sigh,

From: Paul on
Puddin' Man wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Aug 2010 11:22:55 +0200, jk <johnknuhtsenSP(a)Mail.dk> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 16:54:33 -0500, Puddin' Man
>> <puddingDOTman(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I could use some guidance re installation of driver libraries on the Asus web site.
>>>
>>> In particular, on:
>>>
>>> http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us
>>>
>>> under Motherboard - P7H55D-M EVO :
>>>
>>> FILE - Intel_Chipset_V9111023_XpVistaWin7.zip
>>> Description Intel Chipset Driver V9.1.1.1023 for Windows 32/64bit XP &
>>> 32/64bit Vista & 32/64bit Windows 7.
>>> File Size 5.71 (MBytes) 2009/12/28 update
>>>
>>> which defines a driver-library package.
>>>
>> Well, it's a zip file. Unzip to a directory. Setup.exe will run
>> something, but in safe mode it can't install, I suppose.
>
> "something" (you suppose)?? You don't know what it will do.
>
> Nobody knows what it will do? :-( :-( :-(
>
>>> Is anyone familiar with how these things are packaged? How they can/cannot be
>>> used? What would happen if I executed the first AsusSetup.exe file? I've
>>> searched and searched for instructions/documentation and found nothing.
>>>
>>> I have an old W2k sp4 OS image that I've used for many years that I've put on
>>> new hardware (eventually for multi-boot with (aargh) Win7-64). It boots
>>> to a safe-mode desktop, detects new hardware, loads a driver or 2 then
>>> freezes/crashes (no error message).
>>>
>>> I'm hoping to be able to install chipset etc drivers with the MS Recovery
>>> Console command-line interface. Each of the .inf files contains the string
>>> Signature="$WINDOWS NT$" which (I hope) means they work with W2k.
>>>
>> I would'nt do it that way. I would restore the image on the
>> c-partition/harddisk with the program it has been created with. Per
>> example acronis or driveimage.
>> Then boot on a w2k CD (with sp4 slipstreamed) and after the 'F8
>> agreement' choose repair. That should make it bootable and preserve
>> registry.
>
> My W2k CD (with sp4 slipstreamed) has drivers from about 6 to 10 years ago?
> The P7H55D-M EVO board has H55 chipset for which drivers were released only
> this year. I don't see how "Repair" could do the job, assuming that W2k
> fails due to lack of appropriate driver(s).
>
> Nobody knows how this stuff is supposed to work?

> Sigh,

Normally, you

1) Install Windows.
On a modern OS, the chipset drivers may already be included, if the chipset
is an older one. Step (2) would then be redundant.

2) Run setup.exe from the Intel chipset package, after it is unzipped.

If you wish to install a particular element manually, you select the
INF file, right click and select "Install" from the popup menu.

*******

The critical step you're missing, is the importance of disk drivers for the
disk interface on the Southbridge.

If the original OS install was a vanilla IDE mode for the IDE or SATA drive,
and the new motherboard has the BIOS set to IDE (compatible or native), then
plugging the disk in, may result in the OS being able to read it. If the
OS can't read the disk, you'd get something like "Inaccessible_boot_volume".

If the boot volume is not accessible, you can do a "Repair Install", using
your Win2K installer CD. There is an opportunity to press F6. If you set y
our motherboard disk interface to "AHCI" mode, you'd need to install an
F6 driver. And the floppy package to do that, may be a separate item
(with TXTSETUP.OEM at the top level of the floppy).

On some Asus motherboards, you can

1) boot from the motherboard CD!
2) insert a blank floppy
3) There will be an option to "Make Disk", which will prepare a driver floppy.
4) Now, reboot the system, and this time install the Win2K CD.
5) Do a Repair Install, press F6, and offer the floppy.

Now the OS has a driver to access the disk, and the repair install can
proceed. Repair installs preserve user settings, all installed programs,
with a few exceptions. WMP and IE8 or IE7 would be removed. Service Packs
later than the CD, would be removed. All those Windows Updates will need
to be done again.

If you already have IE8 or IE7 installed, then a repair install spells trouble.
You're supposed to uninstall IE8 or IE7, before cloning the disk and moving
it to the new motherboard. Then, when you do a Repair Install, it should
go a bit more smoothly. Apparently, the repair install doesn't wipe IE8 and
IE7 properly, and do a clean job of it. If Microsoft had half a brain,
that would not have happened.

So really, if you expected this operation to be "painless", you would
have put some brain power into solving the "disk interface" issue. If
the old motherboard disk interface was in a vanilla IDE mode, and it
was similarly set up on the new motherboard, then you would avoid the
"Inaccessible Boot Volume" problem. If you cannot fudge the disk interface
thing, such that the transition is smooth, then you're looking at a
Repair Install. Some people do that out of instinct. Others, swear
by a clean install, and they wouldn't be caught dead doing a Repair
Install on a new system.

You have many choices. But fiddling with INFINST.exe, isn't particularly
going to get you any place fast. INFINST is for *after* the OS is up
and running, and helps populate Device Manager properly, as well as
neutralize System entries that otherwise would not be recognized. INFINST
isn't going to solve the Inaccessible Boot Volume problem, which
pre-dates doing anything to the system. If it won't boot, you can't
very well run anything :-)

*******

In previous postings, I've described how to do a "bounce install", using
a PCI controller card. The objective there, by using a plugin PCI card,
is so that when the OS is moved to the new system, there is "something
familiar" that the OS can boot from. Once the system is running, using
the PCI disk controller card, you can install all the drivers
(IDE/AHCI/RAID, whatever you want), then on the next reboot, you
move the disk to the motherboard disk connector. You're bouncing from
"old motherboard Southbridge" to "PCI disk controller" using the old
hardware setup, then on the new motherboard using "PCI disk controller",
and finally "new motherboard Southbridge". I used that technique to get
my Win2K from a VIA chipset motherboard, to an Intel one, using a Promise
Untra133 TX2 as the PCI controller card.

HTH,
Paul

Pages: 1
Prev: XP Freezes on P6T