From: Peter on
Can I find somewhere *.sys driver sample which uses minimally one *.asm
source and for it's compilation is used MASM ?

Peter
From: Ali on
Peter wrote:
> Can I find somewhere *.sys driver sample which uses minimally one *.asm
> source and for it's compilation is used MASM ?
>
> Peter

I remember reading an article for asm driver but can't find it now,
it might be possible that site admin has removed that article.
The details of that article are given below hope you can search it on
web;-)

Name: Kernel Mode Driver Tutorial for MASM32 Programmers - Part 1 -
The Basics Abstract Four-F
URL:http://www.assembly-journal.com/index.php

ali

From: Gary G. Little on
Cripes, if you want to see assembly used in a driver, simple set
"USER_C_FLAGS = -FAcs" in your sources file and then load the resulting .COD
file in to your editor du jour. Some variation of -FAcs will give you the
assembly language itself if you don't want the pesky C.

The question is why do you want to do this? Nearly every reason I have seen
for using assembly in the kernel has proven to be falacious and mostly a
result of a severe misunderstanding of kernel mode. If the thread Ali
references is the one I'm thinking of, it was started by a kinder-gartner
who thought assembly was much more elegant than C. Unfortunately, those of
us who started when only assembly was available for programming anything,
unless you wanted to use COBOL, laughed our asses off.

--
The personal opinion of
Gary G. Little

From: Peter on
Dont worry about useless using of assembler, using of this one *.asm among
other 20 *.c is in this case needed.
Many times I worked with *.cod files,
I only fear that in *.asm source must be used some mysterious MASM
directives or other thing, because it is part of driver.
Yesterday I created one sample function in *.asm and successfuly linked into
driver and it was runnable.
Before definition of function I used only:
..386
..model flat, stdcall
..code
MyFunction

But like I mentioned it seems that all these directives are sufficient, but
I am not 100% sure about it, even if this part of code is really functional
in result NDIS IM driver. In *.cod file are much more directives, I am not so
good in MASM to know what of these I must to use also in *.asm source file.
It would be suitable to publish some sample driver with source.asm in it,
mainly when inline assembler will not be supported in the future.

Thanks !
Peter

From: Jonathan de Boyne Pollard on
P> using of this one *.asm among other 20 *.c is in this case needed.

Why? Even though Windows NT isn't in practice a portable operating
system any more, it still retains all of the capabilities for being
portable across CPU architectures, including the availability of
processor-neutral functions, callable from the C and C++ languages, for
performing all sorts of low-level things that would on other systems be
the purview of assembly language code.

<URL:http://perl.plover.com./Questions3.html>

It's a fair bet that if you explained the actual problem that you are
trying to solve, you'd be pointed in the direction of how to do it
without need for any assembly language. Stop asking us about
chocolate-covered bananas.

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3
Prev: USBD_STATUS_XACT_ERROR