From: Jim Thompson on
On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 15:35:30 +1000, Grant <omg(a)grrr.id.au> wrote:

>On Thu, 22 Jul 2010 19:11:06 -0700, Jim Thompson <To-Email-Use-The-Envelope-Icon(a)On-My-Web-Site.com> wrote:

>>>Wouldn't it be easier to run the H bridge as switching current
>>>direction only, with current through the bridge controlled by a
>>>separate switching regulator?
>>
>>(*)
>>

>>>Saves talking about ginormous inductors, for starters. Might
>>>even be buildable ;)
>>>
>>>Grant.
>>
>>That would meet the "shape" requirement, but I still ponder what does
>>"...it has to be efficient, i.e. some kind of energy retrieval" mean?
>
>Dunno, may be this is a piezoelectric thingy that wants to squish
>the current back out when being relaxed at a controlled rate?
>
>Rotate the bridge 90' so the capacitor voltage see-saws and the
>charge doesn't fall out? ;^)
>>
>>* You'd need some kind of loop to keep it "centered" also.
>
>Yeah, that too, unless that thing is taken rail to rail, self
>centering?
>
>Grant.

Yep, You do need to be careful to keep the charge from falling off the
plates ;-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Spice is like a sports car...
Only as good as the person behind the wheel.
From: John Fields on
On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 10:57:14 +0100, "markp" <map.nospam(a)f2s.com>
wrote:

>>>"John Fields" <jfields(a)austininstruments.com> wrote in message

>Thanks for that. Yes, one of these is going to solve it - my preference at
>the moment is not actually an H bridge for noise reasons but rather a
>resonant type oscillator like the one in the top right of the schematic, if
>I can make the waveform triangular.

---
That _is_ an H bridge; notice that the drivers are two voltage sources
180 degrees out of phase.
---

>That actually *might* be possible by
>using a class D oscillator and forcing additional current in and out of the
>drive windings, not sure yet. The question is how the driving sources are
>implemented. For example the top right (a capacitor driven by two voltage
>sources either side) would need to have a current source as well, and that
>current source mustn't be resistive so that the energy used to charge the
>capacitor in one direction is recovered from the capacitor and not thrown
>away by resistive losses.

---
How much power are you willing to lose?

After all, it's not likely that you'll be able to build a "perpetuum
mobile." ;)

As I see it you have few choices if you want to make the waveform
across the capacitor triangular.

Here are two:

1. Use a bipolar resistive current source and drive it with a square
wave.

2. Change the inductance of the choke with respect to time so its
increasing and decreasing reactance does the current limiting.

Either way is going to cost you power, so what efficiency would you
_like_ to see?

From: Fred Bartoli on
Jim Thompson a �crit :
> On Thu, 22 Jul 2010 21:56:35 -0500, legg <legg(a)nospam.magma.ca> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 22 Jul 2010 00:53:47 +0100, "markp" <map.nospam(a)f2s.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> <snip>

>>> Come again? I can create a pair of constant current sources with transistors
>>> and resistors and alternately charge and discharge the capacitor with them.
>>> But that's not efficient...
>>>
>>> Mark.
>>>
>> Neither is any other method of driving a short circuit.
>>
>> Given a large enough and perfect enough inductor, and ideal switches,
>> a short or a capacitor can be driven efficiently by reversing the
>> inductor's polarity at the waveform peak. That would require 4
>> switches.
>>
>> Given imperfect and realistically sized components, a half bridge can
>> reverse it's output inductor current in a finite time period while
>> supplying approximately constant current of the correct polarity, with
>> a modest ripple component and reasonable losses.
>>
>> RL
>
> The OP (markp) implies this is a _real_ situation. How do you meet
> his requirement "...it has to be efficient, i.e. some kind of energy
> retrieval" ??
>
> ...Jim Thompson

ROFL!

You'd better not write such nonsense when you intend to blast everybody
that don't fit your taste here...

I take it that you didn't think much when writing this, which anyway
shouldn't be with the posture you choose to display, but even,
understanding this doesn't take much thinking, so?

--
Thanks,
Fred.
From: markp on

>>Thanks for that. Yes, one of these is going to solve it - my preference at
>>the moment is not actually an H bridge for noise reasons but rather a
>>resonant type oscillator like the one in the top right of the schematic,
>>if
>>I can make the waveform triangular.
>
> ---
> That _is_ an H bridge; notice that the drivers are two voltage sources
> 180 degrees out of phase.
> ---
>
>>That actually *might* be possible by
>>using a class D oscillator and forcing additional current in and out of
>>the
>>drive windings, not sure yet. The question is how the driving sources are
>>implemented. For example the top right (a capacitor driven by two voltage
>>sources either side) would need to have a current source as well, and that
>>current source mustn't be resistive so that the energy used to charge the
>>capacitor in one direction is recovered from the capacitor and not thrown
>>away by resistive losses.
>
> ---
> How much power are you willing to lose?
>
> After all, it's not likely that you'll be able to build a "perpetuum
> mobile." ;)
>
> As I see it you have few choices if you want to make the waveform
> across the capacitor triangular.
>
> Here are two:
>
> 1. Use a bipolar resistive current source and drive it with a square
> wave.

No good, way to lossy.

> 2. Change the inductance of the choke with respect to time so its
> increasing and decreasing reactance does the current limiting.

Now that's interesting. A saturable core reactor that responds quickly
enough could do it. Now there's I2R losses in doing that, you have to drive
current through a coil, the big question is whether this would actually not
be that lossy.

The question becomes something like this: If you had a certain current
flowing through a saturable core inductor the energy stored in it is
(I^2L)/2. So if the current remains the same, and you change its inductance
by changing the control current, what happens to the stored energy?

> Either way is going to cost you power, so what efficiency would you
> _like_ to see?

Something like 85% would be nice.

From: Jim Thompson on
On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 18:46:13 +0200, Fred Bartoli <" "> wrote:

>Jim Thompson a �crit :
>> On Thu, 22 Jul 2010 21:56:35 -0500, legg <legg(a)nospam.magma.ca> wrote:
>>
>>> On Thu, 22 Jul 2010 00:53:47 +0100, "markp" <map.nospam(a)f2s.com>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> <snip>

>>> Neither is any other method of driving a short circuit.
>>>
>>> Given a large enough and perfect enough inductor, and ideal switches,
>>> a short or a capacitor can be driven efficiently by reversing the
>>> inductor's polarity at the waveform peak. That would require 4
>>> switches.
>>>
>>> Given imperfect and realistically sized components, a half bridge can
>>> reverse it's output inductor current in a finite time period while
>>> supplying approximately constant current of the correct polarity, with
>>> a modest ripple component and reasonable losses.
>>>
>>> RL
>>
>> The OP (markp) implies this is a _real_ situation. How do you meet
>> his requirement "...it has to be efficient, i.e. some kind of energy
>> retrieval" ??
>>
>> ...Jim Thompson
>

>ROFL!
>
>You'd better not write such nonsense when you intend to blast everybody
>that don't fit your taste here...
>
>I take it that you didn't think much when writing this, which anyway
>shouldn't be with the posture you choose to display, but even,
>understanding this doesn't take much thinking, so?

Where's the "energy retrieval"?

An H-bridge driven from an inductor doesn't "retrieve".

I see nada of substance in your comments.

Another "Bloviator" ?:-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |
| Voice:(480)460-2350 Fax: Available upon request | Brass Rat |

Friday is Wine and Cheeseburger Day