From: Andrzej Adam Filip on
"Gordon" <gordonbparker(a)yahoo.com.invalid> wrote:

> I'm not a stranger to dual-boot, but with prior versions of Windows!
> I also am aware that there are possible problems when the Vista
> version I have comes with a recovery CD and not an OS CD.
> Any tips on how to make this work properly?

Do you want to install it on a laptop?

NO => Have you considered using "swapable" hard disks?

It may be an overkill for simple dual boot but It starts to make sense
if you want to run work/fun system and *separate* "secure system"
e.g. for electronic banking.

According to froogle hard disk docs start around 25 USD.

--
[pl>en Andrew] Andrzej Adam Filip : anfi(a)onet.eu : anfi(a)xl.wp.pl
Grub first, then ethics.
From: Gordon on
"Andrzej Adam Filip" <anfi(a)onet.eu> wrote in message
> "Gordon" <gordonbparker(a)yahoo.com.invalid> wrote:
>
>> I'm not a stranger to dual-boot, but with prior versions of Windows!
>> I also am aware that there are possible problems when the Vista
>> version I have comes with a recovery CD and not an OS CD.
>> Any tips on how to make this work properly?
>
> Do you want to install it on a laptop?

Yes so the second or hot-swappable HDD is not on....

--
Asking a question?
your OS, Service Pack level

From: Folderol on
On Fri, 19 Dec 2008 19:15:40 -0000
"Gordon" <gordonbparker(a)yahoo.com.invalid> wrote:

> "Andrzej Adam Filip" <anfi(a)onet.eu> wrote in message
> > "Gordon" <gordonbparker(a)yahoo.com.invalid> wrote:
> >
> >> I'm not a stranger to dual-boot, but with prior versions of Windows!
> >> I also am aware that there are possible problems when the Vista
> >> version I have comes with a recovery CD and not an OS CD.
> >> Any tips on how to make this work properly?
> >
> > Do you want to install it on a laptop?
>
> Yes so the second or hot-swappable HDD is not on....

Oh well, that knocks out my method as well :(

--
Will J G
From: jasee on

"Folderol" <folderol(a)ukfsn.org> wrote in message
> On Fri, 19 Dec 2008 19:15:40 -0000
> "Gordon" <gordonbparker(a)yahoo.com.invalid> wrote:
>
>> "Andrzej Adam Filip" <anfi(a)onet.eu> wrote in message

>> > Do you want to install it on a laptop?
>>
>> Yes so the second or hot-swappable HDD is not on....
>
> Oh well, that knocks out my method as well :(

I cold swop laptop drives all the time. My two ibms now have the cover
removed and a nice long piece of packaging tape stuck to each drive and
which covers the vulnerabble bits (i've discarded the hd covers) and is
folded on itself makes a convenient handle to pull it out!

And second hand drives of small capacity (of instance) are easily obtainable
from uk.adverts.computer and even new 2.5" drives are cheap.

There is/was a free utility to dual boot between Vista and previous version
of Windows (if Vista had been preinstalled) but AFAICT it doesn't work for
Linux and is now not free anyway.

From: Ian Rawlings on
On 2008-12-19, Folderol <folderol(a)ukfsn.org> wrote:

> Oh well, that knocks out my method as well :(

Well, there's always bootable USB discs.. I've set up a laptop that I
could boot from a USB disc, worked very well. Probably not the ideal
solution if you want to boot to the secondary OS regularly though.

http://youtube.com/user/tarcus69
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tarcus/sets/
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2