From: Neil Ellwood on
On Fri, 19 Dec 2008 18:44:53 +0000, Gordon wrote:

> I'm not a stranger to dual-boot, but with prior versions of Windows! I
> also am aware that there are possible problems when the Vista version I
> have comes with a recovery CD and not an OS CD. Any tips on how to make
> this work properly?

Ignore vista and just use your favourite flavour of Linux.

--
Neil
reverse ra and delete l
From: Owen Rees on
On Fri, 19 Dec 2008 18:44:53 -0000, "Gordon"
<gordonbparker(a)yahoo.com.invalid> wrote in
<6r28d5Feu2neU1(a)mid.individual.net>:

>I'm not a stranger to dual-boot, but with prior versions of Windows!
>I also am aware that there are possible problems when the Vista version I
>have comes with a recovery CD and not an OS CD.
>Any tips on how to make this work properly?

The problem that I am aware of with Vista and not having a full OS CD is
that you do not have the tools to rewrite the MBR if you want to use the
Vista bootloader rather than grub.

I fixed this on a dual boot Vista/Ubuntu laptop using EasyBCD. I can't
remember all the details but I remember it being quite easy to fix the
system to use the Vista bootloader and have it be able to boot to Linux
as well as Vista. Although I prefer using Linux, there were some
constraints that made it necessary to have Vista as the default OS on
boot and to use its boot loader rather than grub.

I don't have a link for EasyBCD on this system but it is not hard to
find once you know the name.

--
Owen Rees
[one of] my preferred email address[es] and more stuff can be
From: Gordonj on
Gordon wrote:

> I'm not a stranger to dual-boot, but with prior versions of Windows!
> I also am aware that there are possible problems when the Vista version I
> have comes with a recovery CD and not an OS CD.
> Any tips on how to make this work properly?

Sorry if this is a duplicate - Knode threw a wobbly!

Thanks to all who replied - I've decided to go down the WUBI route while I do the cross-over from Windows to Linux....

From: Gordon on
"Owen Rees" <orees(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
> On Fri, 19 Dec 2008 18:44:53 -0000, "Gordon"
> <gordonbparker(a)yahoo.com.invalid> wrote in
> <6r28d5Feu2neU1(a)mid.individual.net>:
>
>>I'm not a stranger to dual-boot, but with prior versions of Windows!
>>I also am aware that there are possible problems when the Vista version I
>>have comes with a recovery CD and not an OS CD.
>>Any tips on how to make this work properly?
>
> The problem that I am aware of with Vista and not having a full OS CD is
> that you do not have the tools to rewrite the MBR if you want to use the
> Vista bootloader rather than grub.
>
> I fixed this on a dual boot Vista/Ubuntu laptop using EasyBCD. I can't
> remember all the details but I remember it being quite easy to fix the
> system to use the Vista bootloader and have it be able to boot to Linux
> as well as Vista. Although I prefer using Linux, there were some
> constraints that made it necessary to have Vista as the default OS on
> boot and to use its boot loader rather than grub.
>
> I don't have a link for EasyBCD on this system but it is not hard to
> find once you know the name.

Thanks - I'll have a look at that.

From: ac on
Gordon wrote:
> I'm not a stranger to dual-boot, but with prior versions of Windows!
> I also am aware that there are possible problems when the Vista version I
> have comes with a recovery CD and not an OS CD.
> Any tips on how to make this work properly?

one way which is quick and easy would be to consider using wubi
straight from the live CD, and install into vista still using the
vista boot loader.

You will get a choice of Ubuntu or vista when booting up and the only
downside is that the underlying file system is ntfs (?) and the file
system is more vulnerable to power outages than an native ubuntu would
be.

--
ac