From: Ralph on
Tony Toews [MVP] wrote:

>> [A pure unsubstantiated theory - MS is waiting for 64-bit Office.]
>
> Office 2010 does come in a 64 bit version.

That's right. I'll have to go play and see if anything has improved.

-ralph

From: Mike B on

"Ralph" <nt_consulting64(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Mike B wrote:
>>>
>>> 3) Go with Delphi.
>>> Slightly less guarantee of future support simply because Delphi is a
>>> competing vendor and simply because Borland itself is a tad shaky.
>>> (There
>>
>> No Borland. Embarcadero is the current owner.
>> http://www.embarcadero.com/
>>
>> There is a substantial footprint of users worldwide.
>>

> Thanks for the update.
>
> Other than SideKick (which was the bee's knees) I have never used any
> Borland product full-time outside of evaluation or the occasional exposure
> while consulting for a Borland shop.
>
> I have always been confused the bewildering litany of changes in
> ownership,
> spin-offs, and name-changes, plus the practically monthy announcements of
> the ultimate doom of one or more of their products. It was enough to put
> me
> off from ever purchasing them.

When Borland was in the driver's seat, it seemed they lost direction as to
whether to go to data manipulation tools or compilers, so internally they
created CodeGear that took over the compilers, and since that group focussed
on just that, things moved ahead until a suitable purchaser came along
(enter Embarcadero).

You would be surprised at the number of developers that are still producing
apps from Delphi versions D3, D5 (With D1 being somewhere in the timeframe
of VB5).

I have stuck at D7 for a few years, but recently purchased D2010, but
haven't installed it yet (lazy, content, blah, blah).
C developers have very little mystery involved with Delphi, largely
substituting "begin" with the left curly brace and "end;" with the right
curly brace.

I didn't think it was much of a leap from VB6 to the Delphi environment once
I started to get a clue about the structure of the units associated with and
without forms, but I am largely in the hobbyist category, being of
sufficient age to qualify for Medicare (phhtttt!)..