From: Tony Toews [MVP] on
Folks

So I'm thinking what if the VB6 runtime isn't present on the next
version of Windows? Can a VB6 DLL be called without the runtime? If
an exe is running from a server share will it automatically look in
the server share first for a DLL? Basically move all the module
code into a DLL.

My particular VB6 app could likely be easily split into the forms part
and the engine/data validation portion. Then I'd rewrite the forms
part in a exe which doesn't require a runtime such as one of the
Basics available or Delphi.

Note that I've never attempted to make a VB6 DLL so I haven't a clue
how they work. How difficult a task would this be? About 6800
lines of code are present in the modules vs 4300 lines of code behind
the forms. With out 170 functions and subs. (MZtools doesn't give
you a convenient subtotal by form and module.)

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
From: Tony Toews [MVP] on
"Tony Toews [MVP]" <ttoews(a)telusplanet.net> wrote:

>So I'm thinking what if the VB6 runtime isn't present on the next
>version of Windows?

I also had one user state the IT department removed the VB6 runtime
from PCs due to security issues.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
From: Frank Rizzo on
Anything you build in VB6 is dependent on the VB6 runtime.
From: Ralph on
Tony Toews [MVP] wrote:
> "Tony Toews [MVP]" <ttoews(a)telusplanet.net> wrote:
>
>> So I'm thinking what if the VB6 runtime isn't present on the next
>> version of Windows?
>
> I also had one user state the IT department removed the VB6 runtime
> from PCs due to security issues.

Corporate/Business outfits can manage their boxes as they see fit with or
without reason. Disabiling a particular runtime so no applications compiled
against it can run is extreme and about as un-reasonable as it can get.

Any security target or attack surface, real or imaginary, they may feel they
are avoiding is just as possible with any other runtime or system component
located on the box.

As for your original question, I truly doubt the VBRuntime will vanish
anytime soon on Windows releases.

-ralph

From: Mike Williams on
"Tony Toews [MVP]" <ttoews(a)telusplanet.net> wrote in message
> "Tony Toews [MVP]" <ttoews(a)telusplanet.net> wrote:

> I also had one user state the IT department removed the VB6
> runtime from PCs due to security issues.

If they're that worried about security issues then they need to remove
Windows :-)

Mike