From: eBob.com on
I have a simple .Net app which uses FtpWebRequest/Response. It used to work
when it connected to an IIS FTP Server which I had running on a WinXP system
which bit the dust a while ago. But it doesn't work when it connects to a
server which I have on a Vista system. I am also unable to use a command
line FTP client to see directory or files on the Vista system. Even when
the client is running on the same Vista system as the server.

Configuring IIS is probably way over my head, but I need an FTP server so
that I can develop my .Net application and I am an experienced programmer so
I figure I might have a chance of doing whatever needs to be done.

My specific questions is: does IIS need to be told which drives and
directories it can access or does it use standard Windows "sharing"?
According to the sharing I have setup on the Vista system I should be having
no problem. So I am thinking/hoping that I must also tell IIS which dirves
and directories it can make available to clients.

If this might be helpful ... Under ComputerManagement(Local) under Services
and Applications I have two IIS entries: "InternetInformationServices(IIS)
Manager" and "InternetInformationServices(IIS) 6.0 Manager". When I double
click on the first entry I see a bunch of icons for ASP.NET, IIS, and
Management but none of those seem to have anything to do with which dirves
and directories the FTP server can make available to clients. The second
entry (i.e. "InternetInformationServices(IIS) 6.0 Manager") has a "FTP
Sites" node which in turn has a "Default FTP Site" node. If I double click
the "FTP Sites" node I see the following information:

Identifier: 1
State: Running
IP Address: *All Unassigned*
Port: 21
Error: The requested control is not valid for this service

Also, the .Net app gets the following error message (this is from a
WebException): "The remote server returned an error: (550) File unavailable
(e.g., file not found, no access)." Using the Windows FTP client I get

ftp> open gigavista64
Connected to GigaVista64.
220 Microsoft FTP Service
User (GigaVista64:(none)): ftpuser
331 Password required for ftpuser.
Password:
230 User ftpuser logged in.
ftp> pwd
257 "/" is current directory.
ftp> cd d:
550 d:: The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.
ftp>

I've tried many variations on the "remote-directory" specified in the cd
command and all yield the same result.

Thanks very much for any help or direction anyone can offer. Bob

From: Ken Schaefer on
Hi,

In IIS Manager, check that there actually exists a folder called "d". If
not, you can't "cd" to it. If you are trying to get access to the physical
D: drive on the server, then you'd need to add that as a virtual directory
in IIS Manager

Cheers
Ken

http://www.adOpenStatic.com/cs/blogs/ken

From: eBob.com on
Thank you Ken and +Bob+.

I guess my problem is solved, but there is sure something going on which I
do not understand. You might recall that in my original post I mentioned
that I have two IIS entries (under Computer Management (Local) > Services
and Applications). The entries are identical except that one includes
"6.0". The one without "6.0" looked more user friendly (lots of icons) so I
messed around with that for quite a while and got no where. So in
desperation I started to flail at the other one (i.e. the one specifying
"6.0") and eventually found a way to add a virtual drive. Did so and bingo!
Now the Windows FTP client works as expected and so does my .Net app.

The key was Ken's point about virtual drives.

But what bothers me now is why do I have two IIS entries and why do I see
completely different dialogs when I double click them. Given the difference
in the entries (one having "6.0" while the other does not) I'd guess a
version difference. But the difference in the dialogs (one having lots of
icons while the other one has none) seems to be much greater than what I'd
expect from a version difference. The machine is pretty new, so even if I
do have to different versions of IIS on it they should both be recent
versions.

Again thanks for the help.

Bob